Did a search, and found some discussion of badge tests, but haven't seen a clear explanation of what badge tests entail, so this is a query to those who know.

Poked around the SAJ, JSBA, and various ski/boarding school websites, and what I gather is that a typical badge test day looks like:

1) Short training course (講習) in the morning.

2) The test itself after lunch.

3) Results announcement, pass/fail.

I wonder, is that it? Do folks usually pass after just the morning session, or do they usually have to take days of lessons to prepare for a badge test? If the latter, is this stuff covered in the generic group lessons offered at most ski areas, or does one need a more targeted, intensive set of lessons? How much of a time commitment is involved?

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 and 2 but this is a long way back.

I tried for 1 a few times but I was beginning to hate all the "form over fun" that it all entails so decided not to continue. My bad habits were just too engrained for me to pass l1.

From what I remember, when I took it I didn't have to have a lesson to take the test. Just signed up and then took it.

About 10 of us taking each time with mine and we had to do the techniques.

It was all over very quickly.

Shortly after they posted the results and that was it.

Are you thinking for you or the off-spring Metabo? wink

One other thing. I have been told by a few people that getting a badge test at some skijo/school is more prestigous than others. Meaning that also some are harder than others.

Thanks for the info, SKI. So would I gather that the early levels might not take much time?

Originally Posted By: SKI
Are you thinking for you or the off-spring Metabo? wink

Heh. Started looking into something for the sproglet, who has declared a willingness/desire to take boarding lessons, so I thought the badge process might be a fun way to track progress -- and instill some safety consciousness along the way.

Then thought, might not mind taking a stab myself, too. Could certainly use some work on my mogul skiing skills, as well as on my not-planting-face-in-snow snowboarding skills. Plus, it would keep the little one from complaining that I am being zurui for heading out for free time on test days... I mean, it would provide an additional bonding experience. Yeah, that's it.

Regarding the quality of the schools, any idea of what are considered the better ones in Tochigi and Fukushima? For skiing, Edelweiss and Inawashiro seem to rank highly, but cannot find rankings for boarding. (Not concerned with bragging rights, just prefer teachers who care.)

like in the cub scouts, if you sew a button on a shirt and make toast and tea then you get your Home Awareness Skills Badge, which you can sew onto the side of your ski jacket! wink

sorry not helpful at all

Hi Pete,

As I understand it, the badge test system is a ranking system, which (according to Ryoma) was developed to give the ski industry something comparable to golf handicaps, or something like that.

Confusingly, there seem to be three different organizations running badge tests, all slightly different: SAJ (Ski Association of Japan), JSBA (Japan Snow Board Association) and SIA (Ski Instructors Association). Haven't yet sorted out what the significant differences are, if any, beyond that SAJ and SIA do both skiing and boarding, while JSBA only does boarding. (I think SIA is more safety-minded, while JSBA aims for more tricks, including an air badge... but still looking into it all.)

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Thanks Metabo - really appreciate the info. I can understand a handicap in golf but who keep scores when you are boarding or is it just some sort of classification for competitions etc?

Just a little note about Japanese culture, Pete. They LOVE tests in general and you can take level tests for just about everything. So if you're hobby is skiing then you can practice up and challenge one of four level tests depending on your ability. It's really a bit silly imo.

I found that it was all form over fun, that's why I didn't continue.

Need to get Level 1. Need to get Level 1. Need to get Level 1.

Get to hate skiing in the process? Unavoidable, but worth it!.... seems to be the attitude of some.

They just test you going down a 32 degree groomed slope too don't they? I remember skiing with these level-one guys saying why don't we go down such and such course... Nevermind heading into the trees, they were like "Oh, no. We can't do moguls..." I don't even particularly like the 'form' that they aspire to. -That hyper-correct overstated look-how-pretty-I-am look. (Rant over)