Hi! First post here, but I've been lurking for a little while. I just arrived in Iwamizawa, just north of Sapporo. My skis that I sent via UPS also arrived, having survived customs and a not 100% accurate Japanese address!

I'm a skier, so can't wait for the winter. I'm thinking I will probably use Kamui Ski Links as my regular haunt, as the expressway up there is free now apparently. Anyone else regularly ride there?

Any other suggestions for good local hills? Also any tips on buying season passes, or the most economical way of seeing a number of different resorts over the winter?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll be on here fairly regularly now that I've arrived in Japan.

welcome Magseven wave

Don't know much about Hokkaido other than its SOFT and DEEEEEEP!!! biggrin

Apparently the Sapporo ski resorts are good local hills to hit. Of course so are the "big" ones, but they are a bit away from Sapporo

Thanks for the welcome!

I read the Niseko season pass thread. It's a bit of a trek from here, so it probably won't be a regular spot for me.

I'm looking forward to discovering what the smaller ski areas have to offer. If there's anyone else around in the area between Sapporo and Asahikawa, please drop me a line!

Originally Posted By: MagSeven
Any other suggestions for good local hills? Also any tips on buying season passes, or the most economical way of seeing a number of different resorts over the winter?

There's the Kamori Kanko group season pass that gets you season access to 5 area resorts: Sapporo Teine, Sahoro Resort, Rusutsu Resort, Mt. Racey, and Nakayama Touge. Teine and Mt. Racey are somewhat close to where you are, with Sahoro and Rusutsu a bit further away. I'm not sure what the deal is with Nakayama Touge though - I thought it closed.
Originally Posted By: MagSeven

I'm a skier, so can't wait for the winter. I'm thinking I will probably use Kamui Ski Links as my regular haunt, as the expressway up there is free now apparently. Anyone else regularly ride there?

I had my best powder day up at Kamui last winter. The snow is so dry its not even funny. It actually makes most other mountains feel heavy (in comparison), but the mountain is small, the vert is lacking, so I dont know about going there all the time. I would definitely have a look at Furano if you are looking at something bigger and more vert, or Asahidake and Tokachidake for some BC.

Still Id imagine the season pass at Kamui is cheap, because the day passes were about 3000? I believe so not bad for a local haunt for sure!