Recently I read an article on sustainable food sources and one of the top ones was Sardines. Looked into what could be had at the super and found so much variety:

tomatoe sauce

chili sauce

curry

tomatoe with coriander and cumin

Sichuan chili flavour

fried with blackbean

and I've bee trying a few. Must admit the curry one is very tastey, so too the Sichuan ones.

20090224-sardines.jpg

survival_kit_sardine_can.jpg

But wait, sardines?

Quote:
The word ''sardine" does not strictly refer to any particular species of fish. There is a standards body, called the ''Codex Alimentarius Commission," which allows each country to decide on its own definition of ''sardine," and there are 21 possible candidates.

The French and Portuguese tend to go for young pilchards, while in Norway sprats and immature herrings are used most often.

It will come as little surprise that the French insist that the term ''sardine" should be reserved for ''Sardinia pilchardus" -- which, of course, is the pilchard fish they favor -- though they have yet to persuade the commission to change its standard.

In the United States, the Bureau of Fisheries has declared that any fish in the clupeid family can be a sardine. This includes small herring, brisling, and sprats in addition to pilchards. Those of you out there who like anchovies will be happy to know that these are not allowed to be called sardines.

Sardines, regardless of their species, are canned before cooking. The can is filled with steam and heated in order to cook the fish, tilted so that fish fluids can flow out, and then pumped with whatever oils, spices, etc. are desired. The can is then sealed, cleaned, labeled, and shipped to wherever you buy your so-called sardines.

But realy, the most sustainable source of protein actually was a bit interesting.

Sardines (and the associated species) sounded good. ANd for now, I'd choose these.