For those of you living in the mountains are any of you using electric under floor heating, the thin mat like stuff that sits under the floor boards or carpet. Just starting my research and would love some 1st hand feedback. It appears to be very easy to put in and is available in China quite cheap.

Obviously if this is a daft idea please speak up smile

Hi Rob

Id love to do that, the only problem I have is there isnt going to be a roof as such. Based upon some advice I have at this stage I am going to seal the tops of the containers and call it done, then insulate them from the inside. Im really open to any ideas on this. I have a month or so to make a decision prior to getting my architectual drawings done.

I view a lot of those home-maker programs on TV, the recent ones being set in the UK e.g. Grand Designs.

Most UK houses appear to use a water system (probably because houses there tend to have boilers/furnaces). In Oz they tend to use electric systems.

I remember hearing an obvious problem with the electric systems - generation of a magnetic field leading to long term radiation exposure.

Remember PHP: you get what you pay for.

Thanks Sub Zero, thats why I really like asking questions here. I had failed to consider the possible impacts of the electric heaters and radiation. BTW Love Grand Designs. Im worried/excited I'll be one of the type of people that appear on it. smile

• 2 weeks later...

We've got u/f electric heating. It's a low temp system running overnight when electricity is cheaper. It's like a big storage heater.

The Grand Designs houses in the UK tend to be modernist with polished concrete or massive stone tile floors. They look sharp but they'll be tiring to walk on and super echo-ey, esp. with an open-plan layout. I like to be barefoot in the house.

We applied to be on Grand Designs about four years ago but the company said they'd stopped doing overseas ones.