I know it is something I really should do because my Outlook file is getting humungous after 5 years of no cropping, but how do you archive old mails?

For what it's worth I'm using Outlook 2007 and looking into this Auto Archive feature but still learning. Any better ways to keep them on hand? I do often seem to go back to old mails so I don't want to empty the computer out, need to get back to previous correspondence easily.

smile

your archive appears as another folder in your outlook. You can click that to retrieve archived stuff.

Easiest way would be to sort by date, choose them by using shift and up arrow or pageup and choose "archive now"

Make some folders, put the mails into the relevant folder and then archive all. That way the folders will be archived too, and the mails will be easier to find.

At work, I try (not very successfully, I might add) to keep my inbox empty by moving mails to folders. Then the filing system retrieves the mails for me. Some of my emils are "discoverable" documents (ie they could be called as evidence in court) so I have to be able to deliver them within a fairly short timeframe. If I was wasting time sorting through a huge inbox, it'd be frustrating. So much easier with a realistic folder file system.

At home, I keep all my emails on the network drive (that way I can get to them from any of the 7 computers I have around the place) and have a folder system set up there too.

BTW, not using Outlook at home, Thunderbird allows me to point it to any accessible drive for email storage. (work mandate Outlook and it ain't as easy)