got into a lot of whiteout conditions at the weekend, and found that my goggles were consistently fogging up. i was working hard climbing, so generating a tonne of heat internally, and the outside temp was -5ish, but with plenty of snow/moisture in the air. taking the goggle off for a few secs to cool them down only ended up with more moisture inside. the best way to clear them up was to face directly into the wind and let the air-currents inside the top vents.

this really hampered my enjoyment when i actually started riding - feels like an upgrade is coming on. what should i be looking for in terms of equipment? double or triple lenses? any recommendations?

Definitely check out something with 2pry lenses.

Some suggestions and what my friends and I ride are the Oakley crowbars, Smith I/O, Electric eg, and Anon Realms.

Best thing to do though is to keep your lenses by a heater or something blowing hot air or they won't dry out completely ever and there will always be fogging when moisture gets near it and spurs up the already moistened lenses.

Another tip is never never never put then on your head when you hike and such. The forehead emits a lot of sweat/heat and fogs goggles quickly. Instead put them in a backpack or something that isn't near your body/touching it.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Best thing to do though is to keep your lenses by a heater or something blowing hot air or they won't dry out completely ever and there will always be fogging when moisture gets near it and spurs up the already moistened lenses.

hey mitch, i'm sure you know way more than i do about goggles (seeing as you live in the snow) but i was always told not to but goggles near heaters, because the heat can melt the glue/seal between the double lenses, and once this happens you can get moisture etc trapped between the layers...?

i have some 15 year old bolles. they are dorky as hell but they never fog, so i continue to rock em.

It is true, but I am not saying put them very close. Be sure to keep them about 3 feet back or so. This is the best way to dry out the moisture that can get in the lenses.

You're right, sorry I didn't clarify. Keep them decently far from the heater.