Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and have never been to Japan.

A friend and I are planning a trip to Niseko sometime this season and we could use some verification on when the season usually ends. We were thinking of leaving around March 20 and spending 3 weeks or so on the slopes, however another friend seems to think that this is leaving it too late.

Could anybody shed some light on this? The March/April deal suits our timeframe, but we'd be devistated to get there and find slush and grass!!

Happy trails amigos, thanks smile

You won't find grass at that time but slush is almost definite. Although we can get some great late season falls (I remember one March where we got 40cm on the last day!) generally you'd expect temps to be getting above freezing most days at village level. In a 3 week stay at that time you'd almost definitely get some snowfall but don't expect the waist deep stuff of mid winter. You'd also almost definitely get some rain as well. Still if you don't mind spring like snow conditions with the possibility of a little powder (at least up higher on the mountain) the likelihood of plenty of fine and sunny days with few people on the slopes you can still have a great time.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Still if you don't mind spring like snow conditions with the possibility of a little powder (at least up higher on the mountain) the likelihood of plenty of fine and sunny days with few people on the slopes you can still have a great time.

rollabout rollabout

He's from Melbourne - possibly used to what you call "spring" conditions. Almost certain to be not used to what Niseko can turn on when it really tries!