Employer told not to post advert for 'reliable' workers because it discriminates against 'unreliable' applicants

Too good to get lost in the "important news" thread

Quote:
When it comes to hiring staff, there are plenty of legal pitfalls employers need to watch out for these days.

So recruitment agency boss Nicole Mamo was especially careful to ensure her advert for hospital workers did not offend on grounds of race, age or sexual orientation.

However, she hadn't reckoned on discriminating against a wholly different section of the community - the completely useless.

When she ran the ad past a job centre, she was told she couldn't ask for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants because it could be offensive to unreliable people.

Mrs Mamo, a divorced mother of two, added: 'I had to battle to have "must speak English", which they also said was discriminatory.

rollabout

Mr Snowhunter needed a male cleaner and was not allowed to put in the advert Male Cleaner required as it discriminated against female workers.

It may have done but a male cleaner was required as they have to clean the male toilets and the male change rooms!!

He still was not allowed to state Male cleaner he had to state cleaner required. doh

The Job centre is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The only time I had to sign on for unemployment benefits was a complete nightmare. I only claimed for 1 month so only went twice but that was enough. 1st time...

Job Centre guy: Hmm...you've been to Japan eh?

Me: Yeah

JCG: Whats that like?

Me: errr....pretty good (confused look on my face)

JCG: Tell you why I ask, I'm planning on taking early retirement and my idea was to move to Japan (WTF??) or buy a speedboat and live in the south of France.....you ever been to the South of France?

Me: errrm....no

JCG: (looks around conspiratorily) actually here, have a look at this boat (shows me a picture on the Job Centre computer)....do you know anything about boats? what do you think?

Me: Look mate, not to be rude but I just want to sign the form, get my 80 quid and bugger off ASAP