bumping this because i just had one of the best days this year here. Its literally one run, but the run is EPIC fun. You get to play in amongst some (melted) snow monsters and cruise some long tradked powder, then if the gates open you can bomb a steep (not much bombing was taking place to be honest, the top part's a mogulbahn) but when it gets a bit shallower you can bomb it right up into the trees. And there youll find a massive amount of powder if you climb a little above the tracked lines. Once youve played in that, you pop down into a quite **** fast natural halfpipe, which then brings you out at a massive open green run where you can just cruise down to the bottom.

You might think that aint much, but you ride it and we'll see just how much you love it. Alternatively you can skip the pleasentaries, cut through the gate and pop under the ropeway for a straight plummet (although amazingly still chock full of soft fluffy powder in spots) into the above mentioned halfpipe. I would have gone over the little wall of snow at the bottom of the middle course (about half way down), but i figured theyd blocked that off for possible avalanches (its even steeper and there were no lines in it).

Honestly, i came back to the hotel (hotel chalet or something like that where i got a bed, 2 meals and a 2 day pass for 11,000yen) and all i kept saying was "what a good day". Its also a nice confidence booster to see all these people just watching everyone with the balls to ride the skyline or whatever its called. Its also great fun watching all the people tumbling down it biggrin

All in all, brilliant day. Easy top 10 all time, and probably top 3 this year. Even in temperatures so warm i had to take my jacket off, it was still awesome smile

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed it Ippy. Like you, I was impressed with that steep run. And all the treed areas are great too... I know exactly what you are talking about with the natural half pipe. Loads of fun. I'll be heading back up there soon as I won a free ticket from SnowJapan!

its freaking brilliant. The hotel is the chalet ryuoo hotel i believe.

Anyway, heres the full scope:

Arrived at nagano station at 8.40. The bus left from the back of the station at 9.20. Its stop 3 if i recall (the shiga kogen stop - though the shiga bus leaves at 9.10, so dont accidentally get on that one).

We arrived around 10.20ish at the central terminal area. Go up the stairs to the second floor and youll find the information center. Although the guy was a little "wtf are you asking me here?" i told him there was an internet deal for 7000 yen (day pass and night at hotel), he kinda grasped it but this is obviously not his job... anyway, he phoned up some people and scored me a spot at chalet ryuoo for 11,000yen. Shamelessness pays off again smile

Check in is 3pm, and if you have stuff youll have to put it in one of the lockers (300yens). To get there you just walk up the hill a tiny bit then take the first right. The area aint that big so its impossible to miss in truth. Then chat to the front desk guy, get your tickets, pay for your room, put your stuff in the locker, get ready, then nip up to the 3rd floor and there you go, youre on the slopes.

Im currently typing this on the 6th floor (internet apparently only works downstairs though), and have 3 beds all to myself to bounce around on smile

A weird thing of note though is that i went for my dinner and i was a) the only gaijin, B) the only person on their own, and c) the only person over 25. Hazukashii!!!

I remember when i was living in nagano wondering where all the people between the age of 18 and 29 were. The under 25s are evidently all here.

Another thing of note is that there are a surprising number of beginners on the course. Lots of people side slipping down the length of the mountain. smile

Still, theyre all either at the very top or on the big wide groomer at the bottom, so theyre easy enough to avoid.

The place is mint, the scenery is spectacular, and even without access to the skiers right skyline part (its roped off), its still brilliant. Its honestly the first time ive really felt like a run deserved its status as a black diamond run. Honestly, im not exaggerating when i say unless youre pro, this one run tests every single aspect of your riding.

Two last points:

1. The skyline didnt open until 12.30pm. I dunno if thats regular while they perform tests on it, but if you go up earlier and its shut the only way down is via the ropeway.

2. They have a bag jump! Seriously, for such a small place it has a CRAP LOAD going for it... oooh, forgot all the walls you can also ride up. And that massive groomer can be BOMBED smile

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
You leave anything untracked Ippy? smile

Instead of taking the straight line that everyone else is taking at the skyline (course b (small B) on the snow japan map), and just head skiers right until you come under the ropeway and ride that. Theres a TONNE of powder under there. Sure its a little cut up, but still plenty of lines on it to play with. I might do a bit more exploring tomorrow to see whats up, but truth is, its not the best conditions to do too much exploring out there, plus its definitely avi prone. Hell even if it was below 30, the melt is on... indeed they shut lift 5 because theres a massive crack at the top of 10. smile

Right, i think ive done my usual and added too much info, so ill stop there.

PS. If you do hit those trees and go high, theres some definite shady looking terrain to my uninformed eyes. smile
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Ippy where are you over the next week? Looks like snow on Friday..

yep, just in time for me leaving smile

Tomorrow night im off to yudanaka and then 4 days riding shiga kogen... though truth is i could do with an R+R day. Was gonna take it tomorrow, but the hotel deal plus the fact i loved ryuoo (even for just cruising which i might end up doing tomorrow), its not happening. smile

i do, i do. Hold on and ill trawl through my pics... had the gopro on my head on a 10 second timer (though accidentally failed to switch it off once, and then ended up taking a lot of pictures when i wasnt riding and switching it off when i was. Tomorrow ill set it to every 30seconds and just keep it on until the battery dies :))

ETA: watched a full episode of seinfeld and it was still uploading. Ill wait until i have something more powerful than dial up before throwing out 1mb photies. They arent even that great, the evidence i was submitting was a couple of blink and you miss it powder shots, and 3 "wheres the powder?" shots. The point being that even on a 'non powder spring day' this was still one of the best places ive been to. Go here before they shut down those steeps. Its got to happen soon at the rate the place is melting. Actually i think i might change my saturday plans to come here, id love to see this place after a bit of snow.

just looked at the weather report and the snow is coming a day later than i thought it was :( And this unfortunately (saturday night) will be just in time for me to get on a plane and fly back to korea :/

Still, these 11 days or whatever it is, is kicking the crap out of my time at furano so far smile

And pete, just look for the guy with the gopro on his big blue helmet (oo-er!) You might realise i look too embarrassing to hang out with smile

i have never had SO MUCH attention on a ski resort than when i have that toaster strapped on my head. It might be everywhere in niseko and hakuba but outside that its like ive got unicorns and rainbows coming out of my head.