In the UK hospitals get their cash either way, but in Japan hospitals are businesses. This leads to huge differences.

In the UK:

- difficult to be seen by a doctor in busy areas

- 'cant you tough it out?' kind of attitude by doctors

- emphasis on 'solving' medical ailments rather than 'soothing' them

In Japan:

- easy to be seen on the spot anytime

- treated like the customer you are

- over treatment, and emphasis on return visits

Basically I prefer the Japanese way, though I think both are far from ideal. I dont trust what JP doctors say to me cos I think they are just after whatever is profitable, and I think they are lower quality, but at least I can get seen when needed and taken seriously.

Well I have to say that our wait times have increased and treatment worsened since the introduction of Medicare. There was always a safety net for the underprivileged - people on low incomes got thier treatment and access, but the majority had private health insurance and paid for their treatment. It worked.

Then our government - in its wisdom decided to tax everyone for government provided health insurance (Medicare) and make it a 'free' system. People dropped their private insurance in droves.

I have private insurance. I have to pay upfront at my GP for my appt, and I get a small rebate (less than 50%) back from Medicare. I also use my private health insurance, and while it costs me more to access the same treatment as people who are getting it free (through medicare) I usually do not have to wait. And if the Dr I see is a tool I have the ability to change.

I would like to see everyone have Private Health Insurance - those who can afford it. An appropriate tax reduction applicable of course. And leave Medicare for the people who truly need it.

never had a problem seeing a doctor when I needed one. Even if my GP wasn't available I was always able to see another from the same practice. Never had that 'can't you tough it out' attitude, and I trst what my doc says more, precisely as they aren't influenced by what drugs they'll get a profit on

Same here TB - never had a problem with local GP clinic - always on time, sometimes a bit late, but always made sure we were sent home with sufficient advice and medicines just in case.

In the UK it was fine when I lived in the sticks, there was a GP at the end of the road and it was usually pretty quiet. He was Indian but posh and born in the UK and I think the locals prefered to travel out of the village to see other doctors. Anyway that was great but try getting to see a doctor in London - totally different story.

the moral of that story is to NOT live in London. I'm from Dundee, and while its not a bustlng metropolis like London (or even Westen Super Mare wink ) its not the sticks either. A decent sized city/town and like I've said no problems....of course if your talking about NHS dentists then thats another story! smile

I was on waiting list in UK for 18 months before I could see a dentist, then she took a quick look and said "they perfect, no work needed".

6 months later I moved to Japan and had a dental check up and they told me I needed work doing that would require 12 visits. I didnt end up going as I thought it was a piss take, that was 3 years ago now.

I still don't know whether to believe the UK or JP dentist.

Ask the thousands on the waiting list to have hip replacements or other old age related fix ups.

It's quite disgusting that they decide who to operate on for the good of society. If you're an old bastard at 75 or so, good luck, you'll be waiting for 5 years in their hope that you snuff it first.

Private insurance, BUPA, on the other hand will get you fixed up. No NHS chavs on their waiting lists.

Yeah Thurs, there are problems with the NHS I don't disagree, BUT the fact is if you are sick and need immediate procedures then you get taken right away and there is no worry about whether you can afford it or not. If its a non-lethal procedure then you will wait a bit. My grandad spent 3 yrs waiting on his knee replacement.

The thing about the dentist is that dentists won't register any new NHS patients. So if you aren't already registered with one then you'll not get your teeth done, unless you wanna risk it at the Dental Teaching hospital

Is going that way here because of Medicare.

There are so many problems with it.

Even my private Doc is hard to get into - mainly because there is a shortage of Doctors, because the majority of newly graduated Doctors here are on a lower hourly rate than if they are doing manual labour!

Pay peanuts - get monkeys!

immigration. Very touchie subject.

We are now getting II Pakistanis coming by the boatload to apply for political asylum which comes with permission to work while awaiting hearing.

The law will change soon.

We have rampant immigration, but it seems those refugee's are being placed on unemployment benefits augmented with other cash support to help them get established, and also set up in public housing in close proximity to other refugee's.

Problem is they bring their problems, prejudices and battles with them - with a huge increase in brawls, rapes, stabbing and shootings in those area's.

And they are not really alleviating the skills shortages we have here in Perth.

And then there is the group of illegal immigrants working the market gardens/strawberry picking etc - getting busted regularly by raid from immigration.