Getting skimmed in Tokyo/Japan

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
That sux blu ... I want to look into that this week to see if there is a CC out there with a hard and fast limit to charges for the same purposes you suggest.

Papa is home today - and it appears that his business CC was also skimmed, but the NAB didn't pick it up and allowed them to drain the available balance. So we have to lodge paperwork on that, and hope that they re-credit the dosh.
doh

I can just imagine him trying to get out cash all over Tokyo using both cards - exposing himself to the skimming - and all the while unaware of the risk he was taking. We previously had a VISA card and had no problem whatsoever getting cash in Tokyo - however this new one is a MasterCard ....why do banks change things! And it seems it is very hard to use in Japan. Also had trouble with the work CC for ease of use - hence the trying it in machines all over the city.

ARRRGGHH!

I have used Mastercard no problem over here. 7/11 ATM's and Post Office machines accept them no worries

I am really not sure what went wrong where.

I know he was trying to withdraw cash at quite a few ATMs and his card wasn't accepted - didnt get to the pin number stage - so I assume he tried both cards in those instances.

The only ones he succeeded in using were Tokyo Tower ATM, and the test swipe at the ANA. I don't know if skimming devices work when your card is not accepted and you dont enter a PIN (???)

CommBank gave us info immediately and were onto it. However NAB told Papa it would take 2 weeks to get the information as to where the transactions were made...etc etc...seems implausible to me, but that is what they told him.

More updates to come I am sure rolleyes

Banks annoy me, as if it would take 2 weeks to get that data. The ATM's will each have a personal code that relates to their origin...the bank will know the code and I'm pretty sure in this day and age it wouldn't take em 2 weeks to track down the locaton

they simply don't have the clout to do the digging. Customer service is completely different to fraud control (called risk management). CS can ask for information, Fraud just ignores them, 'cos it's a lot of work to do a report. They'll only do it if they have to.

If there's a compensation case, they will investigate and will tell you nothing until they have investigated into everyway they can to not compensate you. Just usual banking practise.

If it was caught, no loss to anyone, the message will go out to the frontline to look out for so n so in so n so country, etc. General information to be aware of.