Wood workers in Sapporo and Niskeo areas?

G'day all,

A sideline to an upcoming ski trip is to visit if possible wood workers and esp. turners.

I've identified a craft/artisan zone in Furano and wonder of there's anything similar in Sapporo and Niseko.

In Misaka in Hokkaido, there used to be a firm that made super expensive solid wood furniture with local birch etc. under the brand "Hokkaido Mingei". They closed up earlier this year. Their pieces are a simplified version of British/French antiques. Rock solid and practical but with much less ornate carving, making them easier to use in a modern interior. Most of it comes in a very dark mottled stain. "Mingei" means folk craft, but the obvious influence behind it is European, not any Japanese folk tradition. I'd guess the craftsmen are like Japanese carpenters though in that I'm sure they'll make their own planes (kan'na) and spend hours meticulously sharpening them.

http://www.ldt.co.jp/hokumin/dng/index.html

The best known maker of that kind of mingei furniture is still going and they're in Matsumoto, just down the road from Hakuba. Their shop is on the same road as the "Roy Lichtenstein" love hotel, for people who know the area. Again super expensive to buy new. Second hand they go for more than the Hokkaido stuff on name value.

http://matsumin.com/

The guy next door to K's House at Goryu in Hakuba makes his own flugel horns. They're really beautiful. The pension is called "Poem" written in Japanese characters.

Thanks for this Mr W.

Yes, Japanese furniture and woodturning tools and techniques can be quite different from Western ones.

I have a few Japanese-style woodplanes. All Rosewood apart from the blade, and they're pulled rather than pushed.

Would love to have a play with one of their bench chisels. The best are made out of old ship anchors and the steel is folded back on itself in laminations, providing both hardness and flexibility.

On the subject of laminated steel, if you want a piece of hardcore Japanese craftsmanship as a souvenir, there's some great info about Japanese cooking knives on this uber-foodie's website. Basically they're made with the same technology as samurai swords. I think we're talking 40,000 yen plus for a sushi knife, and then you'll have to know what you're doing just to keep it sharp, let alone slice fish properly with it.

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=241&resolution=high

What great photos and what a great story! Japanese artisans refining things to the nth degree. Only one type of wood and only one tiny bit of a horn can be used in the handle. It's almost laughable!

Can't help you much with woodworking in Hokkaido, but there's a Japanese woodworking forum I lurk on where you may get some help http://www.japanesetools.com/phpBB3/index.php .

Also, if you're in Kobe there's a great museum of old Japanese woodworking tools and techniques. It's the Takenaka Carpentry Museum ( Takenaka Daiku Doku Kan ).

There's a few books out there in English as well. "Japanese Woodworking Tools" by Toshio Odate and "The Complete Japanese Joinery" published by Hartley and Marks. Some of the joinery techniques are amazing .

Glad to see another woodworking/telemarking nerd on here wink Any chance you're a single, attractive female??

Thanks for the info HS. Will put a post up on the forum.

Nope; fraid I'm a grey, grizzled and grumpy male ;-}

Have found a Canadian turner living in Tokyo and have an email off to him.

I've heard that Japanese turning tools and techniques are rather different from those in the West.

The only Japanese tools I have are a high angle plane from Japan Woodworker which looks great and sits nicely in the hand. Great HSS blade which suits Australia's hard timbers. And a pull saw.

• 2 weeks later...