Hi

I've seen a number of you with experiences of stopover in Tokyo. Would the main shopping precinct like Shinjoku be the best place for me to 'shop' at? ... Not looking to buy a lot except for the odd ski clothing for the under 5 & Mrs, maybe a board or ski and definitely the sort of novel snow toys not commonly found in Oz (like those snow ball maker)!

p.s. I am not heading to Niseko, but will probably go via Sapporo on the way to the resort in the east of Hokkaido, in Feb - would I be right in assuming that Tokyo's main shopping district as the best place to get those items at reasonable prices?

wakaranai

Hi Alx...

The main area for buying ski gear (or most sports gear for that matter) in Tokyo is Jimbocho/Kanda.

Skishopareamap2.jpg

The place on there called Kanda cheap (London Sports) is hell cheap. You can pick up a previous year board and bindings for about 17000Y. Sometimes you have to do a lot of sifting.

There are plenty of other shops, and depending on what you are looking for, there are bargains to have at other stores. I picked up a pair of pants that are 30k waterproof for about $180.

If you want to buy boots though, I'd suggest getting them in Australia, as the japanese have smaller feet.

• 3 weeks later...

Alx - Jimbocho is indeed the place to go. I have spent many hours wandering there at the expense of my company, girlfriend, clients and bank balance.

The biggest ski (and sport) shops are Victoria and ICI Sports, however there are numerous other smaller shops, especially down the side streets. If you can spare the time, it pays to shop around...

SdS

I bought a pair of 30k waterproof pants from Minami sports for 12800Â¥. I could have gotten a previous seasons k2 illusion and bindings from London sport for 17900Â¥ at the start of this year. None in my size though.