Ok how bout this. Japan is in the Northern hemisphere, so that means that the northern ski resorts are generally colder. Beening that they are colder they can offer longer slopes, more snow fall and drier snow usally. This does not mean that the most northern place gets the most snow as there are many factors involed.

The mountains here in Tohoku are'nt all that high - there is nothing much over 2000m with most being around half that. I have never been south but from piccies I have seen the Mountains down there look more like real mountains stead of just big hills. I'll assume that the snow is often better up here cos there are plenty of ppl from the south visiting and what fattwins said.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
This does not mean that the most northern place gets the most snow as there are many factors involed.
Correct. There are many, many factors that go in to play regarding snow and weather in Japan. My town, on the Pacific Ocean, averages 250 inches of snow a year. We're at the same latitude as New York City. I bet the southern places kick ass as much as the northern places do. The difference is up north the snow fall lower but on smaller mountains.

I think that is true for what you and I and most people think about resorts, but then there are those places, Okutadami, Gassan, whatever that get sooo much snow, that they don`t open until April or whatever. I think they get more ? ?

Someone told me that some place in Japan, claimed the most snowfall in the world, but I don`t believe it. I always thought Mt. Baker, WA was tops.

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
I think that is true for what you and I and most people think about resorts, but then there are those places, Okutadami, Gassan, whatever that get sooo much snow, that they don`t open until April or whatever. I think they get more ? ?

Someone told me that some place in Japan, claimed the most snowfall in the world, but I don`t believe it. I always thought Mt. Baker, WA was tops.
I actually think it was Mt Rainier but I could be wrong. I think they set the record 3 years ago with over 1400 inches.

Markie - Had some medical stuff to deal with. Got my second knee surgery coming up in a month. Been kinda sucky. How have you been? You been able to avoid the whole SARS thing down there? I can imagine it's put a stress on your daily life.
 Quote:
Originally posted by barok:

I actually think it was Mt Rainier but I could be wrong. I think they set the record 3 years ago with over 1400 inches.

Markie - Had some medical stuff to deal with. Got my second knee surgery coming up in a month. Been kinda sucky. How have you been? You been able to avoid the whole SARS thing down there? I can imagine it's put a stress on your daily life.

Mt Baker set the world record for most snowfall in a single season a few years back ('98-'99 at 1140 inches). That is the world record for most snow ever piled up - not just for a ski area. But I don't actually think it is the leader in the world for snowfall every year.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Mt Baker set the world record for most snowfall in a single season a few years back ('98-'99 at 1140 inches). That is the world record for most snow ever piled up - not just for a ski area. But I don't actually think it is the leader in the world for snowfall every year.
You are correct! I just looked it up.

Mount Baker holds Snowfall Record
N.O.A.A. Makes It Official
1,140 inches of snowfall for the 1998-99 snowfall season

The previous U.S. seasonal snowfall record was 1,122 inches, set during the 1971-1972 snowfall season at Mt. Rainer/Paradise, a station located at 5,500 feet on the slopes of Mt. Rainer, about 150 miles south of Mt. Baker."

My Bad. Here is what I found it on: http://classic.mountainzone.com/news/99/bakerrecord.html

Thats a lot of snow. Too bad half of the time its wettish, but the other half must rock. I was sking In Canada that season and that was a stellar year powder into April, just a sick year. My resort, went 200 inches over there normal year.

Barok I agree on your point but I was only counting normal winter resorts.

There was so much snow they had to dig the lifts out. I mean the snow was higher than the cables! And these aren't your typical low to the ground Japanese lifts. That's why all the lift run-outs are so tall and steep.