Hacienda - How not to run a club

Just reading the new book by Hooky about the Hacienda. I'll probably finish it by tonight, great story great read. If you ever went to the Hac or were interested in the scene, a must read!

12955.14.medium.jpg

Quote:
Peter Hook, as co-founder of Joy Division and New Order, has been shaping the course of popular music for thirty years. He provided the propulsive bass guitar melodies of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and the bestselling 12-inch single ever, 'Blue Monday' among many other songs. As co-owner of Manchester's Hacienda club, Hook propelled the rise of acid house in the late 1980s, then suffered through its violent fall in the 1990s as gangs, drugs, greed and a hostile police force destroyed everything he and his friends had created. This is his memory of that era and 'it's far sadder, funnier, scarier and stranger' than anyone has imagined. As young and naive musicians, the members of New Order were thrilled when their record label Factory opened a club. Yet as their career escalated, they toured the world and had top ten hits, their royalties were being ploughed into the Hacienda and they were only being paid GBP20 per week. Peter Hook looked back at that exciting and hilarious time to write HACIENDA. All the main characters appear - Tony Wilson, Barney, Shaun Ryder - and Hook tells it like it was - a rollercoaster of success, money, confusion and true faith.

would like to read that myself. Never went to the Hacienda but love the music spin-offs.

On a slightly related note, I've read a book called Altered State:The history of Ecstacy and House Culture, brilliant read as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read a few bits of that.... didn't realise that there were so many gigs on at the Hacienda. Sounds like in the first few years it was more a gig venue than a nightclub.

Originally Posted By: stemik
i think Mr Wiggles was a regular

Not quite, but I went maybe fifteen times in total. I saw George Clinton and Spacemen 3 play there, went to the Thurs indie night maybe seven or eight times, and the Friday house night only four or five times. The latter was easily the best. The indie nights weren't really different to anywhere else. A few less students and a bit less goth perhaps. If you went as more than four blokes, sometimes they wouldn't let you in.

It would have been good to go to more of the house nights but more of my mates liked indie stuff and it was a fiver to get in on a Friday. I think it was a tenner on a Saturday. As context, in the same year, I saw the Throwing Muses and the Pixies (International 1) for five quid and Tad and Nirvana (Manc Poly) for maybe only four. Mudhoney and Sonic Youth at Daydream Nation time was five fifty. Five quid for just a club seemed like a lot of money. Especially when you've got club prices for booze once inside.

According to Hooky lots of people weren't paying to get in esp. towards the end when it was Gangland and there was actually cheap booze going on in the club. They were into some bad deal with Whitworths where they were paying more than anyone else for the beer, but for some reason sold it cheap. I need to pay more attention to the details. Perhaps a few of Hookys anecdotes need to be taken with a bit of salt as well. I'm sure some of his memories are a bit misty wink

It might have been cheaper than the towny clubs like "Rotters" (what a name!) but I don't remember it being cheaper than the Boardwalk, the Ritz etc. To say nothing of the Poly!

I saw Hookie once in Dry Bar. He was really deshevled and had some naff bikers boots-cum-wellies on. He looked like some bohemian back-to-the-lander. There was no aura.

Hookie said that he was basically in Bar 7 nights a week. Never went there what was that like Wiggles?

Never really liked him, he does come across as a real tosser and most definitely aura-less. Doesn't shy away from having a good dig at New Order for some reason.

• 3 months later...

FAC251, a new club, coming soon.

Seems Mr Hook has decided that he does want to own a club once more.

But it's not the Hacienda, oh no. They're not even mentioning the hacienda.

More onr factorymanchester.com