Hi everyone,

Im a long time lurker on these forums, first time posting. I am planning a trip to Hokkaido from the 12th Jan - 11th Feb 2010 and I need some advice. Just a bit of background, This is my third trip to Japan, I have previously been to Nagano but not all the way up to Hokkaido and am planning to spend all of my time up there this season. Im a snowboarder with a fair bit of experience.

So I am looking for cheap backpacker accomodation, I would rather spend the least possible on accom and stay in a dorm than stay in a hotel. I also would like to be able to pay the full sum in advance, I have found this is not an easy task with Japanese lodges so if anyone knows places where you can get cheap accom/lift tix packages and pay up front that would be even better.

So as far as resorts go I have done a bit of research, and I think I would like to split my time between Niseko, Furano and Rusutsu...but I am open to any suggestions.....

Anyways if you guys could give any suggestions I would be MOST appreciative!

thanks for the quick reply. I will look into that! As for the money situation, Im sure they would love my money razz Its just that most of the places I have looked at only have the option to pay cash on arrival i.e. no credit facilities. Maybe I have it all wrong, anyone have experience with paying for accom/lift tickets up front?

Yes. I pay for as much as possible up front. In Niseko.

But I am not going budget - that might be where the difference is.

I did book for my son something in the cheaper end of the market, but still not super budget and they took the money up front no problem - transaction handled in just a few secs over the internet. Great service.

Yeah, as thursday said, the prices haven't come out yet and there is a chance it won't be continued. It's valid anytime throughout the season. There is also a 30 hour ticket but that is only valid during the low season. Fingers crossed that they offer it again!

Thanks for the tips everyone, Im sending emails, hopefully I will get this all sorted. That 50hour ticket sounds awesome, hopefully they will keep that going for this season.

Anyone flown from Tokyo to Sapporo and got a bus direct to Furano? Im tossing up over whether I can go straight from narita to Sapporo (flight) then get a bus to Furano on the day I land in Japan. I land at 3:40pm, Is this too late to be trying to get all the way to Furano? Should I just stay out in Narita for the night? It seems crazy to spend an hour heading into Tokyo for one night and then go back to Narita the next morning.

Shin Chitose to Furano, I did that in 2.5 hrs by car in Summer. When the toll roads were not free (no money required). Your bus ride would be fairly lengthy.

As an alternative, since you're doing Tokyo -> Furano, you could try flying to Asahikawa which is 30 odd minutes from Furano. Haneda -> Asahikawa on JAL 4 times daily.

I have done the bus from Sapporo Stn to Furano a few times and its about a 3 hour trip as it isn't exactly direct, the train I'm not too sure but Im pretty sure the bus is easier.

If you are looking for some long term accom in Furano, my buddies (aus) stayed at the Backpackers there for a few months and loved it there and I'm sure they will take your money/credit. They speak english too.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/viewhotel.php?hotid=138

I'm there next season so if ya need any more info on the place I can help you out there.

If you were starting off in Furano you can fly into Asahikawa Airport and then it is about 60 minutes on the bus to Furano. Alpine Backpackers as mentioned already are cheap and located just down from the lifts.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, the trip is almost completely sorted now but I am looking for a bit of advice on one last bit of my trip.

I have booked for Furano, then Niseko and was going to move on to Rusutsu for 5 days before heading back to Sapporo then on to Tokyo. The problem is that the first 2 days of the 5 that I had planned for Rusutsu are completely booked and I cant get a room. Is there somewhere between Niseko and Rusutsu that would be good to stop at for 2 days? Or am I better off just trying to get another 2 days at Niseko? I am already at Niseko for 10 days so I would prefer to go somewhere else if possible. Are there any small resorts nearby?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.