In regards to the original post - free will not be the regular price as the proportion of people getting ie downloading stuff for free against people who do pay for stuff is miniscule.

What I can see happening is more akin to micro transactions at a more reasonable price than has been touted.

Considering that most dailys are in the region of 50p to ï¿¡1, at most I would be willing to pay per article would be 5p maximum or something along those lines. Even itunes is a rip off considering all you are getting is an MP3 file at anything from 99c to $2.

If people are given a reasonable choice and structured and defendable costs, then this could be a more realistic model that can support journalism and other media.

In regards to the print form, if people pay for the article let them be able to print it off themselves. Also the Sunday supplements. How many of us read EVERY single one of them? Why not give people the choice - perhaps release three or four different ones, a basic copy, full copy with all the supplements, an arts/entertainment version or a Science/business version?

I think that's the way to do it. Try and get some revenue in, even if it comes in in dribs and drabs.

The UK papers have tried charging before. The Independent used to for Robert Fisk. I can't remember which one, but one of the papers let you read the full print version as a pdf if you subscribed.

The Independent has a terrible website, but it was the only UK serious paper against the Iraq War at the time. The Guardian sided with the Blair position. The only other anti-war UK paper was the Mirror. The Independent also leads with lots of environmental stories, so I can see it getting on peoples' tits.

Newspapers are supposed to be a much bigger user of paper than fast food.

How does that work? You pay a chunk and then get credit from which a bit is taken if you click on a story or something? I would think that paying so much for complete access would be more attractive. Can't imaging thinking before I click to read a story, hmmm do I want to read this for 5p?

Quote:
How does that work? You pay a chunk and then get credit from which a bit is taken if you click on a story or something?

Thats pretty much how the videogame download things work... buy a bunch of credit for your account, then use it on what you want.