G'Day everyone,

I'm starting to look for another board. Basically a good free ride board. I like the look of the Never Summer Premier and Premier T5 boards. Very nice.

I'm looking for a 165ish board but the longest Premier is 161, the T5 has a 165 though. I'm just curious to hear what experiences people have had with either of these Never Summer boards.

I'm leaning towards the T5 165, but i'm a little concerned about iniating turns as it seems like its a bit on the heavy side, and i'm only small - 65kg's and 5 foot 10 or so.

Any thoughts??

Dude, you do not need the T5.

Your decision is equivalent to choosing a cadillac. If you want the biggest boat you can find - like a 1960 Cadillac Sedan - wide as all hell with the tailfins and the lights that stick out too far, then get the 165, but really I think it is too much board.

http://www.libertysoftware.be/cml/gallery/daily/60sed1.jpg

I am not sure why you would want the 165 at all, do you want to float ? I think a board that size would sink you - you would just get hung up in the pow, and not be able to turn effectively

I am 65 kg (was 75 before coming to Japan), and 5 foot 8, and I have ridden my Never Summer Premier 157 for 2 seasons. It`s a great freeride board, and it was the perfect size - If you really want to go big, get the 161 - but I think even the 159 would do you right. I say that because the nose of this board is huge and just floats effortlessly, and the tail comes to a point and just sinks - you can ride powder for days. Even a 159 would feel like driving one of todays Sedan DeVilles.

Again, it`s a great board, nice and snappy, so it works in the park as well as for freeriding, and you won`t be able to break it, no matter what you do. But It will lose all of it`s camber after 60 or so days - but it will still be rideable in the pow - it just won`t perform like it used to.

Thanks for that barok. Muchly appreciated indeed.

I've never riden a Never Summer board so I have no idea what they are like to ride. I did think that the T5 might be a bit much. Basically i want a board thats good in pow and general mountain riding. I think i'll take a closer look at the Premiers.

I have riden a 165 before, but that was a while ago now. I can't even remember what board it was now.

Cheers again.

Yeah I don`t remember if they do a 157 and a 159 or if they just do a 158 - I am perty sure it is the former.

In any case, it will work great in the powder, and on groomed shyite, reeally fast. Keep the edges nice and sharp (I didn`t because I like rails) and you will be able to cut through any conditions like buttah. The control is great. And it won`t buckle at any speed. The best thing about this board is the dampening effect. You won`t get all shaken up by imperfections in the terrain. You can also drop cliffs like it`s goin` outta style - I have dropped some crazy shyt with this board and always rode away clean.

The downsides are the weight, and the geometry doesn`t allow you to do certain things - you CAN`T ride switch in the powder - period point blank, you will sink. You can get away with freestyle stuff, but it isn`t the most comfortable board to spin with.

the 161 will allow you to go faster than the 159 but you will be sacrificing control. You will have trouble getting that 161 off the ground for ollies on the flat, and will need to bend deep with strong legs to get the maximum performance out of it.

The nose is wide, remember that mantra - the nose is wide.

The Premier comes in a 50, 54, 57, 59 and a 61.

After your info barok I'm thinking the 59. Plus i've done a bit more reading now as well. Sounds like it handles pretty much any terrain and snow conditions you throw at it. Sounds good.

Now i just have to wait for my ladies bro to get them in his store. Shouldn't be long now. He got the Flow boards the other day, I'm not convinced about them. Think i'll wait till they have a bit more board making experience behind them. They do look interesting though.

Sounds like you have pretty much decided but I was just gonna throw in that the 165 would be way to big! A 61 is what I would grab if I was wanting a big board. A 59 will be cool but if you are really wanting to feel the difference you might not notice it all that much. If it is gonna be your only board and you plan on doin quite a bit of park and pipe riding then grab the 59, but if you stay outta the park or have another board for those days the 59 would suit somone of your height just fine.

Look at the width as well. I tend to like somewhat narrow boards. The wider the worser I always say. I wouldn't want any waist bigger than 25.2 or so.

• 3 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
Sounds like it handles pretty much any terrain and snow conditions you throw at it.
Yeah, but look at any catalogue with a range of boards and makes, and miraculously, they all 'are equally at home in the park as over the whole mountain'. It's meaningless. That's not to say that they aren't OK for everything, just that it's not a mark of differentiation.

Have fun now (it's about this time of year that I start to find your presence here mildly offensive with all of your snowboarding chatter...)

None yet barok. There isn't enough snow yet and thus not much of the mountain open yet - though i think thats more because it isn't worth it for the resorts yet.

I'm heading down on the 27th or 28th June and staying down there until the 3rd August. So i should a lot of days in then. I'm hoping to get around 45-50 days this season. I'll be cheering if i get to that. Can't friggin' wait to get down there. There are some good looking system's around at the moment as well.

\:D \:D

Zwelly mentioned that you went up and built a kicker. How'd that go? Was that your last day out for the season?

• 1 month later...

Hows the 59 treating u snowboard freak and whats the snow conditionsike in NSW?

Where did u buy the board and what did it cost if u dont mind me asking? Jindy, Sydney or Melb.

When i bought my last 59 Wide i only paid $700 but that was when they were trying to introduce them to the Vic market. Not sure how they have sold in Vic but they were $1200 in NSW and not selling to well.(2001 season)

Ive moved on to germany and will buy the T5 59 for the euro winter but have heard that the oz season isnt to flash, well not in VIC anyway.

Good luck keeping away from the rocks.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving the NeverSummer. Lovin' it!

I got mine from my girls brothers shop for a little over cost price. The retail price both in Sydney and in Jindy is $999. It is supposed to be $1200 but i believe that the importer and the other distributers decided to sell them at $999. I've only done about 8 days on the NeverSummer because i've been hiking a bit and there are a fair few rocks around. I've taken a fair few rocks hits already on the Premier. But damn it such a sick board to ride.