Hakodateyama Ski Ground or Washigatake snow ground

Hi there. I would like to know which of the two abovementioned grounds has artificial snow slopes? Are there any snow resorts near Osaka that I can consider?

My travel period :

10-14 December Osaka city/Universal studio

14-16 Ski resort (but which one???)

Any advise from you guys are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Vince

Singapore

Hi all. I would like to get some help in finding more info about Washigatake Ski ground and its nearby lodging. Any comments about this ski place?

We are skiing in Japan for the very time, and wouldn't want to burn a deep hole in our pockets like going to Hokkaido..... biggrin

We are travelling from Universal studio to the ski place(whichever it may be)....

So...really need some good help from you guys...!

Thanks in advance!

Vince

Singapore

• SnowJapan Moderator

vincesent

Hi and welcome to the Forums. I believe you did actually post similar the other day, so I'm going to merge the threads.

I'm sorry I can't help as I have never been down there myself.

Thank you.

Hi SJ#4, sorry for the inconvenience.

Any recommendation for us to go skiing near Osaka? I'm travelling with my wife and daughter(7yrs). Understand from some friends that there might be late snow period this year?

Appreciate your views.....

I think I am correct in saying that the Washigatake area does get a lot of snow and the season does start fairly early and are helped by snow machines. Any reason why you are saying Washigatake? I thought that the combined Dynaland and Takasu were the best of the bunch down there and pretty closeby in the same valley.

I would agree with SKI there.

Another thing worth pointing out, though perhaps not really relevant for early season, is that they do get quite busy and the roads can be chocca. I suppose early on not so much but never been that early.

10-14th in Osaka?

I take it youre spending time in Kyoto and possibly Nara or Kobe as well? 4 days in Osaka, I wouldnt waste your time. Kyoto sure, Osaka, no.

As far as snow that early in the season, it can be hit or miss. It would take you about 5 hours to get to Hakuba from Osaka Stn. Not bad really, but are you hauling lots of bags bc you would have 2 train changes, possibly 3. If youre bringing your ski stuff you could easily send it by takyubin and it would be there within 2 days and cost roughly 1500-2000/bag depending on how big/heavy.

About those ski places, Gifu or the Takasu Area gets about 350 inches of snow a year. It is on the other side of the Japanese alps and gets dumps all the time. In a good year you will be skiing everything in late November Early December. Because these areas pull from 2 major cities there can be alot of people skiing. Most people for just the day. Also this area makes lots of money compared to other Japanese resorts so the infrastructure is good. Lots of modern snow making which will have then opening the ski resorts in Nov sometimes Oct.

I wouldnt waste my time with Washigatake I would go to Takasu snow park and Dynaland which have merged. This makes a big resort and Takasu has a long good beginner run. Look for a pension at either the bottom of Dynaland or hiragano kogen (don't ski hiragano). It is a really easy drive if you go from Osaka and rent a car. You could easily pop your head into a pension to stay a night. IF it is your first time driving on snow, just drive slowly and remember that even though the roads look clear ice can be anywhere. Early morning and night are the worst. Hope this helps.

Ask if you have any more Q's thumbsup