Hey, Snoboyaro,

There are descent ski hills in Arizona. At southern end of the Colarado plateau, couple of places two hours from Phoenix. White Mountains, and small, but even in Tucson.

IM the Zoni

Hi IM. While I was in Arizona this past weekend I was surprised to find out there were mountains with 2,000+ meters in elevation! You're right, there's one down near Tucson and I believe a couple more up near Flagstaff. But I wonder about the snow quality... :rolleyes:

There are only a couple of good resorts in AZ. Mt.Lemmon in Tucson is OK, but too small.

Snowbowl in Flagstaff is pretty good mid size resort, but gets really crowded with folks from Phoenix. Sunrise in White Mountains (NE AZ) is also a decent size resort, but access is bad (5 hrs from Phoenix in winter). What I used to do is work on weekends when possible and drive up to Snowbowl on weekdays, and do a couple of trips to Colorado or NM(Taos).

from what i hear Taos is THE place to be when there is fresh snow. Sick steeps, dry fluffy pow pow, and crisp, cold sunshine to boot. i hear zona is not to far off either. and the singletrack mtn biking is out of this world.

as far as snow or linking turns on the island of taiwan it is possible but difficult. there are plenty of peaks above 3400 meters that get cold enough in the winter so it is possible to get snow. It's just a matter of getting enough of it and having it all north facing so it doesn't melt the moment the sun comes out. since i've arrived i've been compiling trail maps and photos to figure out where/when to hit. i found a good alpine bowl that holds snow for weeks. it kinda looks like tuckerman's ravine in new england. i'll be checking it out next winter and will report back...

but i'm anticipating that i'll need to board the direct flight from taipei to sapporo for some face shots. i'm already looking forward to it. i'll be hiting this board up for some insights.

You know, skiing/boarding is not very popular amongs "regular" people outside of Japan in Asia. It would be interesting to find out if one can slide on one of the mountains in Taiwan. But, I heard many parts of those hills are classified as military areas. I remember my friends having to get a permit to climb one of the peaks there.

yeah, there seems to be many weird and off the wall rules here sanctioning off different areas. all in the name of military protection from our communist neighbor across the water. i would love to see that show down as i have a feeling who would win that quarl.

in order to climb above 3500 meters you need to have a permit and must schedule it months in advance. you also must pay for a guide in order to go into these areas. from what i understand the reasoning for this is to protect the individual. apparently if the locals are left to their own vises they will pretty much top the darwin award list. heck, they don't even let you get in the water at the beach past your chest...they are that overprotective here. however, it is possible to just renegade the trail and go it solo and without a pass. i've heard of it being done before and i plan on doing it myself. after all it is nearly impossible to figure out now when there will be enough snow in feb/mar to hike in.

interestingly enough there used to be a ski area on the island with one chairlift. they have since closed due to lack of enough snow and near impossible access (3-4 hours from Taichung, 6-8 from Taipei). the chairs have been pulled down but the slope is still there....which makes me think it would be perfect for creating a park. heck if the govn't threw in some snow making machines and a rope tow there could be a sweet pipe and park to ride on for at least three months a year. i'm tempted to write the govn't and propose it.