I remember something on this a while back, but couldn't find it (after my extensive 15 second search). Anywhos

Quote:
Chocolate fans, be warned: your sugary snack is set to get smaller. The Food Standards Agency wants manufacturers to reduce the size of chocolate bars by about a fifth to help to cut calorie intake.

It proposes that by 2012 standard-sized bars should be no more than 50g. Currently, Mars bars are 58g and twin Bounty bars are 57g.

Manufacturers have also been asked to sell bite-size bars as single items, of 40g or under, instead of in multi-bar bags. The agency hopes to discourage companies from marketing giant-sized bars and will urge manufacturers to promote lower-calorie treats. The aim is to help consumers to reduce the number of calories and the amount of saturated fat that they eat.

By 2050, 60 per cent of Britons will be obese unless the nation’s diet is improved, according to health chiefs, with the cost to the National Health Service estimated to reach more than £8.4 billion. Officials decided to push for smaller bite-size bars rather than developing healthier recipes because European Union rules restrict sugar and fat reductions in chocolate.

Restrictions on the size of carbonated drinks were also put forward yesterday as part of the consultation with the food industry.

It is also proposed that, within six years, fizzy drinks should be sold in smaller containers, with 250ml (8.8 fl.oz) suggested as the norm instead of the current standard 330ml for most brands. Added sugar levels to drinks should be reduced by 4 per cent within three years — the idea being that consumers will be weaned off very sweet drinks without noticing the lower sugar content.

A) I wonder if the prices will change accordingly. I guess not, they'll go up

B) Will Creme Eggs simply disappear? They can't get much smaller.

C) Why can't we decide on the size of our chocos and drinks. It's those numbskull bozos who can't control themselves who make this happen.

grandpa

Oh PLEASE!!! Numnuts! The lot of them!!! doh

I made a recipe yesterday that called for Mars Bars - recipe just says 3 Mars Bars...if the size changes on all these bars all the recipes will be shot!!!!

Can we not manage our own intake?

Are we a society where we blame the manufacturer of chocolate for making big bars that make us fat?

It is not going to make any difference to the obese - they are just going to have TWO where they used to have one because they wont get the same level of satisfaction as they did previously - thereby INCREASING thier intake of chocolate and making them burst much like Mr Creosote in the Monty Python movie did.

DUMB.

The places I looked all seemed to be TWO FOR ONE POUND!, but is it about 70p now for a Mars Bar if you're old-fashioned and just want one? I can't get my head round that price at all.