Absolute rubbish Mantas. Heli skiing is basically the pinnacle of the sport. There is little better in this life than having a helicopter take you to a peak with fresh tracks spread out below. That such an experience carries with it a certain amount of risk is fine with me. I risk my life everyday driving my car to work, walking across a road, walking down the stairs in my house. I'm more than willing to accept a bit of extra risk for an incredible experience like heli skiing!

Generally heli skiing = very small risk and very large reward...

Actually people should pretty much never get killed in heli ski avalanches coz the guides should know better. Look at that outfit that you went with in New Zealand, Mantas. After a 40cm dump, instead of going for non-stop face shots, they take you down a windward slope for a perfectly pleasant ride through ankle deep fresh. That's prudent.

So...

Has there been so many issues with slides in NZ this season due to unusual combinations of conditions, or has it been purely inexperience/poor judgement? Or are too many people pushing thier limits further than they should?

I wouldnt know, but I get the feeling that the guys Heli skiing in NZ involved in these slides were recreational heli skiers - not those hard core dudes you see in the heli ski movies who push it and almost expect they will set off a small slide or two. Seems to me these guys would choose to go another day, or to another area if they were aware they had a high risk of a slide....

Ger ,they were a very prudent outfit. I don't know a great deal about snow pack and slides but I knew enough that day that the danger was minimal.

>Absolute rubbish Mantas. Heli skiing is basically the pinnacle of the sport. There is little better in this life than having a helicopter take you to a peak with fresh tracks spread out below. That such an experience carries with it a certain amount of risk is fine with me<

Well it's not fine with me GN. I can think of a hundred things better in life than heli-skiing. Watching my kids grow would be one of them.

Well maybe you should never go skiing ever again, never get on a plane ever again, never drive a car again, my god people die doing those things all the time as well! I have a kid too but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop living the life I need to live to be happy.

I mean how many people have you heard of that have died while heli skiing? So a guy dies in NZ and you would never do it again? Ridiculous...

Well that's your choice GN.

Look. If the oportunity to go heli-boarding again came up then I probably WOULD go. Truth is, I regularly partake in activities more risk adverse than heli-boarding. And as you say people get killed driving a car, walking down the street every day blah blah blah...But most of these thing cant be avoided in daily life.

When you start adding risk averse activities to your life as optional extras, then that's a personal choice. So IF and when I choose to go (or not to go) heli-boarding, that choice is made based on whatever fear or logic I choose and I fail to see how you can call those choices ridiculous or rubish.

Gentlemen,

Clearly there is a difference between launching yourself off into an area for heliboarding after assessing the risks and deciding the risk of a slide is minimal...and launching yourself off when there has just been a big dump on top of an icy slab, when the risk of a slide is not only high, but proven after a death just a couple of weeks before under very similar circumstances in a very similar and close area.

Mantas you are right to weigh things up before going out. And GN...if you told me that you never considered the Avie risk before going out into the backcountry then I would assume you are pulling my leg!

Mantas is simply saying that when the risk is too high, he would choose a different activity that day - maybe an inbounds one ripping it up with his little shredder. We all want to live to ride another day, so making choices based on conditions and risk is far from risiculous.

Quote:
Mantas is simply saying that when the risk is too high, he would choose a different activity that day - maybe an inbounds one ripping it up with his little shredder. We all want to live to ride another day, so making choices based on conditions and risk is far from risiculous.

'Riskiculous', even wink