Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Yeah we get a lot of bad rap, but in a certain aspect, beyond the assumption of our problematic educational system,

That'd be the system that ignores the majority of the rest of the world, and reinforces the idea that the American way is the ONLY way, ant that democracy is the ONLY system that is worth anything!

It is also the system that cannot differentiate between Australia and Austria, that has to specify the country in which a city is located (eg Paris, France - as if there is a more important Paris in the world, or Sydney, Australia - how many other Sydneys are there? or Tokyo, Japan - you get my drift...)

It would also be a system where 9/11 means the 11th day of the 9th month, rather than the 9th day of the 11th month, like the rest of the world (generally) accepts. In fact, on that matter, why do people not just use the first 3 letters of the month, so there can be NO confusion? - what is the date shown as 12/21/09? is it 12th of the 21st month? is it the 21st of the 12th month? or is it a typo for 12th Dec? in 2009.

OK, rant over, soapbox returned to cupboard.

Nah, just get the irrits when the world has to be defined by the prejudices of a minority who think that they have all the answers, when they really don;'t understand the questions.

Now, that's it from me, I'm off to beddy-byes! 'Night all!

Originally Posted By: JA
Yeah we get a lot of bad rap, but in a certain aspect, beyond the assumption of our problematic educational system,

That'd be the system that ignores the majority of the rest of the world, and reinforces the idea that the American way is the ONLY way, ant that democracy is the ONLY system that is worth anything!

It is also the system that cannot differentiate between Australia and Austria, that has to specify the country in which a city is located (eg Paris, France - as if there is a more important Paris in the world, or Sydney, Australia - how many other Sydneys are there? or Tokyo, Japan - you get my drift...)

It would also be a system where 9/11 means the 11th day of the 9th month, rather than the 9th day of the 11th month, like the rest of the world (generally) accepts. In fact, on that matter, why do people not just use the first 3 letters of the month, so there can be NO confusion? - what is the date shown as 12/21/09? is it 12th of the 21st month? is it the 21st of the 12th month? or is it a typo for 12th Dec? in 2009.

OK, rant over, soapbox returned to cupboard.

Again, I admit the problematic education system. That does encapsulate geography. However, I can differentiate between Qatar and Iraq on a map. I can tell you the capital of Rwanda is Kigali. Yes there is a majority of geographically incapable Americans, but don't count out everyone.

Does the different measurements really have that much of an impact? I understand time and date is different but when I go to other countries I gladly accept their time and date arrangements. I don't think you were referring to CM/Yards, but if you were the mile was actually developed in Rome, Acre in Saxon, and I am pretty sure the yard was developed in England. These measurements aren't really relevant anymore, but we still use them. Oh well it works, I would agree to a metric system change though.

Again, I admit the problematic education system.

I'd put it down to a more basic issue than that MitchPee.
Every time I've been to the US, I've found it difficult to get up to date global news on TV. In Australia (and the UK) we have at least one and a half hours per night of news and current affairs on free to air T.V.

Originally Posted By: Mantas

Again, I admit the problematic education system.

I'd put it down to a more basic issue than that MitchPee.
Every time I've been to the US, I've found it difficult to get up to date global news on TV. In Australia (and the UK) we have at least one and a half hours per night of news and current affairs on free to air T.V.

The reason I watch BBC. The American media is simply horrific.