I just saw muikabochi's thread on Nikko and it looks lovely. I'm really keen to see some decent temples when I am in Japan but wondering where might be good.

I'm sure Kyoto is, but it isn't really in the region I am planning on going to and would be a trip.

So I'm wondering which temples/areas you like and would recommend?

Thanks

Just to add - not sure exactly where to go yet but was thinking probably some of the main resort places on Honshu. Nikko seems fairly simple to get to from Tokyo for a short trip. That kind of thing is fine.

If you are in Tokyo then Kamakura is just "down the road". One train line straight into the ancient capital, its like a smaller verson of Kyoto, not quite as grand but there are some cool Shrines and Temples

Yeah, Kamakura and Nikko if you're in the Tokyo metropolitan area. Nikko takes a little longer to get to (get on the Tobu railway company's express from Asakusa to Nikko for the fastest access - local Tobu train or JR train is slow!). You could almost do a day-and-a-half in Kamakura: It's pretty difficult to see everything in one day.

• 2 weeks later...