It seems that 7-11 is fighting some of it's own stores for trying to reduce the price of their sandwiches and snacks rather than have them go to waste. I forget the numbers and couldn't get the full jist of the feature on the news just now, but they were throwing about but the amount of food that goes to waste is absolutely HUGE. And the shops aren't allowed to sell at lower prices so people will buy near the time limit for sale.

Why would 7-11 do this?

- they have calculated that it is more profitable to sell without discounting

- desire to avoid price war

- desire to avoid claims (people eating old food and getting sick)

- desire to improve company image (it looks cheap to have old food / discounted items)

Personally I do not see any problem with HQ putting down this order to franchisees. If GOJ wants to do something, they should blanket allow/disallow this practice in all businesses.

shame that it has to go to waste.

There's an organization here called St. James... who pickup unwanted hotel food, leftovers from buffets etc and distribute at their shelter for the hobos and the needy. Damn good idea.

One NYE i was in a supermarket as they were doing the closing routine. There was a cabinet of something like 50 chickens looking succulent. The staff were black bagging them for the dumpsters. Quite disgusting I thought.

Potato salad etc. sold in Ito-Yokado supermarket is discounted as expiry date approaches.

Potato salad etc. sold by conbeni owner who owns a 7-11 franchise bought from Ito-Yokado company cannot discount.

I think that is the situation.

We have similar here Thursday - called Food Link. I see the vans out on the road all the time doing collections.

I think they have a few 'supermarkets' where you can go and 'shop' for virually nothing (maybe nothing at all) from the shelves of what they have that day. Stretches the shopping dollar for those who are scratching to put a decent meal on the table.

I used to end up with quite a bit of the Brumbies (a nice bakery) bread and pastry products many years ago when my kiddies were little - gotta say - in those leaner times it was sometimes a brilliant help with the budget. My good friend co-ordinated the collections 3 nights a week from Brumbies of what they were throwing away (it is exactly the same as the items they sold just 10 minutes prior - fresh AS!) but it was unpredictable - some weeks there would be not much, and other weeks all the people in her area who required the help had full freezers of bread, and the latest delivery was going to go to waste. Thats when I would take it. MUCH MUCH better than going in the bin. Waste should be minimised wherever possible.

Actually - on the topic of waste - I do practice what I preach - I got home this afternoon from work and realised that my kids had left the milk out at breakfast - so I have just used up the warm (but still fine) milk cooking scones and banana bread for thier afternoon tea smile

Ideally, yes we shouldn't waste food. On the other hand, businesses need to make money so they can employ people.

If there is an efficient method for distribution of food that is nearly out of date, then many people will simply use that instead of buying food at full price. The result would be less profit, less production, less jobs I guess.

The holy grail is to supply exactly to demand (make 100 buns, sell 100 - result: throw nothing away and turn away no customers). But in reality it is impossible to predict demand. Having a wide selection (which customers demand) makes it even more difficult.

What I am saying is:

- it is difficult for a business to avoid throwing food away because demand cannot be predicted.

- there can be "valid reason" for throwing away food (to avoid loss of profit/jobs)

homeless hobos can't buy food, so surely having a distribution service in place for them can't hurt the viability of a business. They can eat, food isn't wasted....

Absolutely!

I understand that if the staff stand at the front door handing out close to expiry food it may well impact on sales, but redistribution of the perfectly good food that will otherwise go to waste is WAY less likely to impact on business than one might think.

For example - when I benefitted from the bread oversupply back in the day it did not change my buying habits from Brumbies. I did not shop there at that time anyway - it was too expensive. However I did not need to buy bread that week from the supermarket - but I usually would have still spent the same amount in the supermaket - just taken the opportunity to stock up or buy some special items that we wouldnt normally have had the money for.

I would imagine that even if a store gave away it's close to code items at the check out as people were leaving the store it would not decrease sales, but encourage people to come back again in case they got lucky a second time.

do they get some money back for the food they don't sell? I seem to remember when I worked in a Shell Petrol station, the manager leased the shop. So he got a miniscule fee per litre of petrol sold BUT got full profit from the shop. He bought his products from Shell (or a licenced supplier for Shell) and if he didn't sell his food, they got sent back and he got some money back (don't know if it was full or part refund).