Rubbish maps and signs in tourist destinations

Anyone else get frustrated at the silly manga-style "maps" that lots of tourist places use here in Japan. I have just come back from a very fine day in the Akaki/Numata part of northern Gunma Prefecture and in a few places I was relying on a few maps and signs in those places. Some of them were laughably bad. Those in Japan probably know the kind - maps of an area with absolutely no scale and in lots of cases even no indication of roads and directions (!); all the attrations shown as some kind of cartoon drawing complete with lots of happy disney like animal characters playing golf/tennis/skiing and people with huge eyes hiking etc.

They are just totally useless! I gave up on finding one or two places because I simply could not find them (and that had nothing to do with my Japanese abilities). I think my map reading abilities played against me. Can't understand why tourist places don't make proper maps - at least to scale. You'd think they would want people to actually find things.

confused

I know what you mean. They drive me nuts sometimes. Often wonder why they go with the cartoon like maps too. We need scale!

The little hand-made maps of downtown restaurants and drinking establishments bother me more than the cartoon town maps. Those are usually consist of random-sized polygons with shop names drawn with more regard to "will the words fit" rather than scale or actual geographic arrangement.

One of the maps (not sure I can really call it a map) on Saturday in Gunma had 3 temples on it. They were equal distance from each other with no way of knowing the actual distance. Turns out one two were 500m from each other and the third one was a 30 minute drive away! Just ridiculous.

I love that Thursday - I have GPS in the car, but to have it on foot would be a hoot!

Good maps make things so much easier.

We are mobile polling this week, and I have given each of my team members a double sided A4 page with locations of ALL of thier mobile polling places on it. Each nuance is noted - entry from a rear street - parking next door is $10 a day - there is free parking 2 streets away etc etc - all marked on the maps.

Way it should be!

Information is power.

Just bought some good detailed road maps of Tokyo and surrounding kens. Cost a bit but I plan on doing lots of exploring in the next few months. I like looking at maps. (* not the cartoon kind!)