Stand up paddle boarding/surfing

Hey surfers and beach goers, have you notices SUP'ing becoming popular at all in Japan or elsewhere? I hadn't seen anyone doing it when I left Japan but I was surprised to see how popular it had become in Hawaii.

I gave it a try and it's well, different. It's a great workout but I can't really catch waves yet.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few people down here in Shonan doing that since I got back a couple of years ago. Seems really difficult though, dunno if I fancy it...too labour intensive!

Haven't seen it up North, but then again, I haven't even seen any longboards or mini-tanks up here.

A bunch of my longboard friends are doing stand-up on the Southside - anywhere from China's to Kaimana. I might give it a try the next time I'm back...

I can see it catching on around the taihei-kai side of Honshuu in more sheltered areas. It's a lot of upper body and core work in calm seas - add a lot of chop and wind and it can get downright unmanagable. I can't see it catching on on the Mainland or in Oz where the whole core soul aspect of original Hawaiian surfing is not understood and only the sport aspect is.

I know several SUP boarders that ride Pipeline as well as most any surfer. But I like that on any given say I see young/old, male/female SUP boarders working out at Ala Moana or any spot on the southside of Oahu.

wow!! that would be crazy to see, stand up surfers on pipeline!! I've only ever been there once and the waves scared the living shit outta me and I was only on the beach!!

I first saw it 3 years ago on the North Shore. I guy was surfing 4 foot pipe on one. I had a go a few weeks ago. Not easy. Especially with a bit of chop involved. Not physically easy either. You really gotta work to get it going.

It has eventually made it to here. A few guys have got them now. I think it would be a bit of alternative fun when the waves are so so.

You should check out a video of Luke Egan surfing some big left in the Mentawais, pretty imppresive. It's called Right Foot Forward.

Buggered if I'd surf big pipe on one!