My missus's stereo has just packed in so its time to buy a new one with our handout money. Can anyone tell me what the best setup is now? I only listen to music on my computer, so I haven't got a clue about stereos. I guess something that hooks up an Ipod or wifi is best. I've never bought an ipod or other mp3 player, but the touch one looks well tempting.

I just want something for an ordinary room btw. A home theatre type setup thing can come much later.

I can highly recommend getting with the digital age.

I bought Papa an standard iPod Nano, and a Bose speaker dock - and he has never looked back. The music quality is at least as good as we were getting with a proper surround sound system we had set up in th last house - with WAY more convenience and versatility.

No doubt ipods and the little speakers can produce a great sound.

But on the other side of the scale - nothing can beat a quality CD player, quality amp and quality speakers. I have a 5.1 setup and it sounds glorious. Much more expenensive though.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

On my computer I've got an older version of this.

http://www.shop-com.jp/25699038-o.shtml

Sounds great, even with mp3!

Basically I guess we'd like something that sounds reasonably good, plays CDs, hooks up neatly and effectively with an Ipod, and doesn't have a built-for-teenagers-bedroom whacked-out design like some of the Ipod docks have. We've got a pretty trad house. I'll get a home theatre thing when the Japanese government starts dishing out free cash to folk with non-digital tvs. It won't be long now.

I've had some good 5.1 systems, can't be beaten for DVD's.

However for my regular music I've gone back to vintage Mourdant Short Speakers and a vintage Kenwood amp, although that is about to be replace with a vintage Cyrus amp. The old school stuff can't be beaten for simple warm sounds. I drive it all with my PC. However for even better sound get a good separates CD player or turntable.

The 5.1 amps sound way too tight unless you spend a fortune. Probably because of all the digital signal processing they have to do.

For travelling I use JBL On Tour, which is the non iPod version of the On Stage - good stuff.

Originally Posted By: thursday
vintage is a line or just old

New is definitely easier, but not always better. For speakers or amps to get away with being sold as vintage they need two things. They still need to be working and they needed to have been reasonable quality. The crap stuff doesn't last the distance.

Originally Posted By: big-will
You've got SOME (not just the one?!)

Hehehe. I have a really nice 5.1 Denon amp stored in NZ, which isn't a lot of use! I also own 3 vintage amps here in the UK. The Kenwood and Cyrus I mentioned earlier. I also own the vintage Pioneer amp with Wharfdale speakers in the lounge. I live in a large shared house and we love our sounds so every room has an amp & speakers...

If you have some old equipment that was quite good back in the day, drag it out, put some decent cables on it and compare it back to back with the modern digital amps - you may be in for a surprise.

The down side is that this equipment often develops strange noises in the electronic components or scratchy noises in the various controls. Most of these amps are built out of discrete components so are dead simple to fix for a repair shop. Way cheaper than buying an equivalent new machine and often has a much warmer sound. Also nice not to add to the pile of electronics at the dump.