Ok so I heard 'Australian' two ways are not permitted but Japanese ones are Ok? Whats the go with that, I have two uniden radios they're made in Japan, would that be Ok? Anyone..?

what the hell is that supposed to mean? A proper answer would be much appreciated. I'm sure that if not being allowed to use two ways in the resort is true..? Then it may have something to do with them interfering with perhaps their medical rescue or staff radio, or something along those lines. I don't care how stupid this question is or seams to be, If I knew what the go was I wouldn't be asking. If I have to I will call smart traveller in Aus but I'm sure there are enough people on here that would know the answer to this anyway.

I think Thursday's answer was getting you to think about different frequenies between Japan and Australia.

If you come with Australian frequencies on your radios you are NOT allowed to use them.

Even if the radio is made in Japan, if it is sold in Australia then most probably its on Aussie frequencies.

More detailed info - the Australian radios, or those sold in Aus for use in Aos, have a range of frequencies within the general or public broadcast band of frequencies. Those made for sale and use in Japan would have a different range and likely within a different band.

Reasons why the use of Aus frequency radios in Japan might not be a good idea include the potential for interference with (say) emergency radios or even the unwitting detonation of an explosive if the charge is being set off by radio, and the frequencies coincide. That could mean loss of life for the charge hands and others if the charge goes off prematurely.

This latter is the same reason that, at construction sites on the highway around Oz, you will see that radio transmitters are required to be switched off, the stray frequencies emitted by these consumer radios are not controlled and there is the danger, ever so slight but still present, that the use of a CB for example might just trigger the explosion while people are still in the blast area.

IF you absolutely MUST have radio contact with people (and I cannot understand why, but that's just me being a BOF) then you'll need to get a local one. End of story. If you decide to take an Oz one with you and get caught, you deserve everything that's coming!

If you want to use a UHF radio without license in Japan, get a CB (citizens band) Transceiver. The frequency and POWER OUTPUT is limited. If your hardware complies, doesn't matter where it's made. Or, you have to get a so called HAM license. Do a Google search..

These are whatthe OP was talking about, the small hand-helds. Trouble is that the Aus freqs do not match the Japan freqs and so Aus equipment is not legal in Japan, for all the reasons I mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
VeryNice,
Check out this link
http://www.hokkaido-bt.go.jp/eng.htm

very good link, verifying some of my points.

Simply put, take them and run the risk of a 1millYen fine EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT USED THEM!

Possibly a bit cheaper to buy a Japan legal set in Akihabara in Tokyo or Den-den town in Osaka.

Man That sucks! I thought they were further advanced in technology than most, but now I guess it appears not, how deceptive. They still make great TV's though and great cars, how strange.

I wanted to take them for obvious reasons, mainly my brother who is coming along will be miles behind me, I don't particularly fancy yelling out at the top of my lungs or spending a small fortune on phone calls, if there is reception that is, just to stay in touch. So much easier with the two way!

I had no idea they weren't permitted, so lucky I found out before I took them, that wouldn't have been much fun! Might look at the certified cheapies over there or maybe some nasty phone. What a bummer though, anyway stuff it, powder will be good, if I can't get some cheap phone/two way doesn't matter. I'll leave my brother with the snowboard school for a few days wink ha ha not waiting round smile