Hi Guys,

As the title says, where can I go for a day trip tomorrow from Omiya (or Tokyo area, both are about the same distance from me).

I stuffed up by thinking that I had a JR Gala reservation for one of their cheap packages, and have only found out tonight that for some reason it never actually went through, and since they have to be booked five days in advance I can't book another.

So please, help me out. Any ideas of where I can get to tomorrow morning without any booking? I need somewhere with a reasonable number of beginners runs (it's been three years, and I wasn't that good to start with smile ), that does full snowboard and gear hire (inc gloves), and hopefully isn't expensive.

Hopefully someone has some ideas, I've got the day off and no idea what I'm doing otherwise.

Thanks.

I am not sure about expense, but....

Get on the shinkansen to Echigo Yuzawa.

Then get on one of the buses outside the station to any of the resorts.

With snow as it is, higher is better.

I'd say Gala Yuzawa or Kagura though any of the resorts around town would still be ok (expect spring snow).

Good luck.

Hmm, yeah I considered that, but it defiantly puts the cost up a lot from what I would have paid if the JR ticket booking had actually worked. What do you think the chances of being able to get a package in the morning would be? I was thinking either Gala (cause it's easy) or Karuizawa (cause it's cheap).

What is the snow/weather situation like anyway, bearing in mind I'm probably going to spend all day falling over on very small slopes?

Other than my original plan, is it worth it to go to Gala or one of the JR package places in the next two weeks during the weekend? Or have I left it too late now to be worth the trip?

Thanks.

Might not be an option for Raziel to be buying a Level glove with inbuilt wrist guards. They are quite exxy - we have a few pairs - Papa swears by them. But raziel is trying to save the Yen on a shink ticket .... so blowing big money on a pair of gloves for a day trip does not seem logical.

However hiring wrist guards if possible would be a good idea considering how much you plan on falling over Raz!

Yeah as I said, I haven't even managed to get out in the last three years, and back home I'm a 2hr drive from the closest field! So spending too much for the once or twice I'll likely go anywhere here isn't really viable smile .

Anyway, obviously I didn't get anywhere today, decided mainly by the lateness of the agents opening, and the rain here today.

SO, this leaves me only the weekend for next week time wise, since I haven't got any more days off to use. Does anyone have any advice on where is a good place to head for either next weekend or the weekend after? Somewhere that will have snow, and hopefully be not so crowded that a guy can't fall over all day without being rear ended every time.

Thanks.

Oh, and I plan on falling a lot, I'll be happy if I can get one or two good runs in by the end of the day, and not break anything wink

I don't know why you can't just go to View and book a trip. I've done it on many occasion, just went down the day before and booked. Maybe that was a bus trip though??!! Anyways just head into JR View and ask them. If you do a search on here you'll find a thread by Rob Bright about a cheap return ticket to Echigo Yuzawa on the Shink. Ticket costs 10,700 yen, but of course you'll have everything else on top.

Kagura in Yuzawa is high so prob best bet, maybe one of the Minakami resorts but they are harder to get to by train

I don't care how much more expensive they are if they do the job well. Buying a cheap wristguard or using rollerblade ones are not an option because they actually make it worse- a leverage where the bone will snap. How expensive will it be to break a wrist and not being able to work for 5 weeks or more is that going to be ... You pay cheap, you get dodgy.. That's why I said invest. Not throw your money away.. Dig?

Ok, well I guess I'll likely head to Kagura this weekend, but I've read mixed things regarding whether it is a good place for a beginner or not, with most siding on not. Opinions?