I had half day plus at Madarao today. Funny how this is almost the closest resort to where I live, in my town, but for one reason or another one I haven't been to much. It wouldn't have been my choice on a Sunday but a group of friends were going and had tickets.

Anyway, busy busy it was. Madarao is allowing children under 12 to ride the lifts there for free every day (throughout the season) and so as you can imagine that attracts a lot of kids and families. It was choca with them today and the lifts seemed to be stopping and starting all the time as people crash getting on and off. Quite frustrating actually.

If you have kids though, great place to go.... perhaps on weekday.

There's also a fair few untouched, ungroomed courses with a few steepies up top as well, though today it was just too busy to be much fun.

The snow wasn't as good as I was expecting. With the recent snowfall I was expecting soft and fluffy but it wasn't like that at all with some scraping going on and hard moguls all over the place.

No award winning photos I'm afraid but I did take some snaps around the place and uploaded as there weren't many for Madarao on the site. More in the galleries

iiyamadude_59.jpg

From the top

iiyamadude_55.jpg

This was 9am. Got much busier

iiyamadude_48.jpg

iiyamadude_42.jpg

Fair bit of snow of late, but the snow on the slopes was curiously disappointing

iiyamadude_38.jpg

Busy eh? I was there last year and it was dead, it was great. Obviously a good marketing ploy to get the family Yen. I liked it last year, but the at that time as well it needed a bit more snow. It was well groomed though and the corduroy was nice.

Yes pretty busy. The photos were taken early on. There aren't that many lifts, so with the start/stop and the few bottleneck parts of the resorts when it is busy, it seemed to take ages to get a ride.

Decent place don't get me wrong, I'm just not keen on the overcrowded slopes. But happy to see a place busy after all the weekday almost empty experiences (which are fun when you are there!). I think the free kids thing certainly was working, and I'll keep that in mind in future to make it a weekday only place!

I was actually quite surprised at just how little groomed it was. Even at 9am, the only real groomed part was the bottom few slopes.

I wonder too about this grooming business... Whether to keep the upper parts un-groomed for advanced-intermediates and/or cost savings. I find in Bavaria the smaller resorts don't bother grooming but in Austria they keep it well groomed. The former definitely cost saving.

Normally I would like it ungroomed like that.

The reason I found it so curious was because of this apparent push towards young kids which seemed a bit at odds with that.

They also offer 1 hour free snowboard lessons to snowboard beginners. That's what it said on the pamphlet.

Originally Posted By: Myoko Guy

What are the two new runs (Air Wave and Usagi) there like? Air Wave sounds pretty good.

I was just going to ask the same question. I imagine they would have been cut up pretty quickly on a weekend, but I am wondering if they would be worth a visit after some new snow.