The thread with the randomly changing topic

you must be in the docklands or some trendy place for yuppies or twinkies. 'Cos in the burbs, they local borough councils are dead cahvvie on garbage collection. They'd rather it decompose on your driveway.

Lovely. Rates go to law n order, garbage collection is a waste.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehe, it's been a while since you have been here thursday!

I live in Stoke Newington, which is definitely not an upmarket spot. It is now a crime in Hackney to not recycle. Apparently the council are doing sweeps to catch the criminal element red handed putting beer cans in the rubbish...

Why is recycling such a waste? (hahaha, pun intended lol)

Sure there are a number of problems with it in many parts of the world, but they can only be overcome by using and improving the system. Doing nothing will achieve nothing.

Instead of bringing the packaging home, get the store to unpack your purchases and bring them home in a reusable carrier.

With fruit and veges that are pre-wrapped, it will make the store stop and think when they have a heap of rubbish to put out.

Originally Posted By: JA
Instead of bringing the packaging home, get the store to unpack your purchases and bring them home in a reusable carrier.
With fruit and veges that are pre-wrapped, it will make the store stop and think when they have a heap of rubbish to put out.

Hmmm, interesting idea. It fits in with my theory that the makers of a product should be responsible for its full life cycle. That includes disposal. I think the nature of products would change markedly if the manufacturers/producers had to deal with disposal of all parts of a product. I wonder how long it would take before we would have to return drink containers, a la the way milk used to come.
Originally Posted By: thursday
prosecuting for not recycle????

Nuts. Think of the money required to bring about this prosecution. Or is it just a fixed penalty fine.

I'm not sure about the penalties. I read in one of the council newsletters about the recycling bylaw being passed. In a later newsletter they were discussing that some people were ignoring the recycling and that they would be prosecuting persistent offenders.

If I was the council and was to take this route I'd pick a couple of "sure wins" and make a media circus out of the prosecutions. Essentially some very loud sabre rattling.

I think the authorities feel that there is a lot of apathy about recycling so they want to provide some motivation to get the recycling going. I guess they should know, the bin men would know how many empty bins there were.

I can't speak for the rest of the borough but our streets recycling bins generally seem to be full!

all words are made up of the same letters, just arranged differently. so kjnuklsy could just as easily be a word as crtrty.