They were doing Avie control work in the middle of the day!!!! eek.gif above a crowded gelande? is this normal policy?

I always assumed such work was always done before or after operating hours.

It seems awfully risky to me and if I had been there I would have given management a serve for unnecesarily endangering lifes

I was at Turoa on Wednesday - first day out back in NZ and damn that was one freaky thing to see. They had been blasting all morning higher up as about half a metre of heavy pow had fallen and they were looking at opening up a t-bar at the top. I think they just never thought it would be so big and that it would keep going. Reports say that the bottom layer of hard ice and old snow came away too thats why it got so big and fast.

. I was on the lift when the avalanche happened and I didnt see it sliding but what was left behiend was enough! We had been putzing around in a gully all day, kind of a natural half pipe. If you can imagine a 7m or so deep gully filled to the top with chunks of blue ice, hard snow and seeing where it had scoured away the sides of the valley to smooth smooth edges where the sun glinted off. We just sat and stared at it for about 20 mins till they got us to go down the mtn.Certianly very sobering and reminds you of your mortality. I still cant believe that no one was caught in it. Maybe they will find someone in spring? Who knows.

But looking at the slide path makes me think that there would be no way to get someone out of that. So deep and solid as anything, no soft fluffy stuff there.

It sucked because we had to leave early \:\(

At whistler last season I remember all week the mountain recieved like of a metre of really wet snow. It was to dangerous to open the upper mountain for almost a week. When the snow finally stopped falling bombs could be heard all day above many of the runs while the mountain was open. It was actually pretty cool.

When they opened the upper mountain in the afternoon first tracks were had for many runs.