If you live near Tokyo, Yamanashi area good for beginners, I think. The mountains are not so high and most of resorts have flat space at the foot of the slope. After you learned skiing several times and go to Hokkaido, that'll be perfect.

Good luck! ;\)

Id just go to the closest resort and find a wide groomed slope thats not too flat. Every resort has them so find the cheapest one and go for it. Also check out pricing systems as sometimes they have a deal for just the bottom slopes etc so you can save a bit of cash as if youre a dead beginner youre probably not skiing the whole mtn on your first few days.

good luck clap.gif

I think there are big differences in beginner slopes.

Zwelly I am surprised that you didn't pimp your home mountain.

Nozawa Onsen has an incredible beginner slope that is two lifts long, wide, well groomed, and has beautiful views.

It is not in Hokkaido, but it is the best beginner slope I have seen. Hakuba 47 didn't really even have a beginner slope. I taught a couple J-girls at Noz and they had a great time, and learned how to snowboard (linking consecutive turns) in one day.

When it snows, the snow is soft, and it can't be beat.

There are beginners slopes everywhere. You shouldn't need very long on the beginners slopes anyway. If you go to one of the big traditional skiers resorts like Happo, Nozawa, Shiga Kogen etc., ask someone where mogul fields are so you don't find yourself having to go through one unwillingly. While such resorts are great when there has been fresh snow, moguls are very common the rest of the time.

If you're coming from Malaysia, I would go somewhere where the people at your accommodation speak English so they can help you make the most of your trip. In the tourist industry, the level of English speaking is generally lower than in Malaysia. Somewhere like Niseko or Hakuba is probably most suited to foreign visitors.