Mines 2m 80. The weight differences are negligable unless you are planning multi day epics where evry gram counts as miteyak said.

If you are buried deeper than 3m you are pretty much stuffed anyway, the weight would probably crush you.

Ok - Its crunch time. What ones do I buy?

decision 1 - Brand

Orthovox

Life-link

Black diamond

any brand preferences

decision 2

2.5ish metres

3 metres

the advertising for the 3m ones seems geared at guides and or patrollers and the 2.5ish ones at recreationalists(sp?) Im def the latter but???

tell me what to buy quick there is not much time before I have to send away my order..

Judging by what peaker suggests, recreationalists would be most interested in finding their mate alive, while guides and patrollers have to find their customers however dead they are. Nasty, zero sum thinking, but probably right.

2.5 m should do the job. Not that I would know.

2.5 is fine but when its folded up does it fit in your pack. length when packed is important. of course 3 meters is better but if its not in your budget then you cant buy it. second who will you be saving... if its the wife maybe youll feel better having the best stuff.

i like g3 but its not on your list. my orthox broke easy before. my g3 got taken out by ou off a bc jump and its no worse for the ware.

I sent this mail to the place where I can get stuff from-

On 20-Sep-2003 06:46 AM, you wrote:

> Hi - Im looking at getting some skins for my wife and me but as these

will be my first pair I have no idea what I'm after. You seem to have 3

options available the 2 ascention ones and the G3s. What ever we get have

to fit on twin tip skis as I have Seth Pistols (with rather strange tips at

both ends) and my wife has rossie Pow airs which are also twins but have

fairly normal ends. Which skins are gauranteed to attach to the ends of

these skis? whats the difference between the 3 sets of skins you carry and

what do you reccomend?

and this was the responce.

Jared,

Both the ascension and G3's are great products. G3 had some issues last

year with their glue etc. and made some well deserved changes accordingly.

Ascension has led the industry fo the last 15-20 years and I am sold on

their longevity and super sticky glue. The twin tips are a unique

challenge, but there are two main options. The first being that you simply

cut the clip fix off the end of the skin, bevel the coners of the skin, and

cut it to the length of the base prior to the rear tip (that sounds kinda

strange) Thus covering the surface area that actually contacts the snow

when ascending. Otherwise you can leave the clip fix on the end and bend it

accordingly with the spikes etc at least on your boards. No matter what the

option, you are going to have to taper both the width and length of the

skins. I would get the 120mm for yourself and probably the 100 or 110's for

the wife.

Thanks,

Hud

So basicly I still dont know. Have you got any Ideas?

Question:

What did skins used to be made of before nylon-type materials came along? Whose skin was good for going uphill?

(I can't be bothered to do a search for this, and if anybody knows, it might be interesting.)

Might be best to have em professionally fitted. But since I'm getting them for wholesale + shipping it might be best to buy them then take them somewhere local to get them cut etc..

which one would you choose of the two acention ones and the G3s?

I got mine for 10,000 yen from IBS sports.

Note: the G3 claim to have great water repellency. In my experience, in certain conditions the ascentions can collect a lot of snow. If the G3's are better for not doing this, get them.

When I bought my skins at MEC I asked them to cut them for me as it was and is my first pair.

The guy looked at me and then at the skins and then back at me and laughed out loud.

It would have been nice to get it done for me but I guess they sell so many it would take to long.

It wasn't that hard. I just stared at them for a long time and then took that special tool that comes with the G3 and attacked them. My first skins looks a little wonky but fits pretty good. I think next time I will cut them about 10 cm shorter though. I can't do it now though. Peeling the tip part back will be near impossible. So So sticky.

I personally feel that the G3 has a better tail clip than the ascension style. I also found that as the skin gets wetter it stretches a bit and with the G3 tail you can pull it tighter while the ascension it one size after they are fitted.