Cheapest way to snowboard in Japan for 4-8 weeks?

Hi all,

Appologies in advance for the lack of research I've done, I'm currently traveling and haven't been able to spend much time on the net.

I'm thinking of going to Japan to snowboard for 4-8 weeks starting in Feb. All I have with me is goggles, a beanie and a jacket. I will have to buy & then sell, or rent, everything else. I have absolutely no standards for accomodation, I just want the cheapest bed (or even floor) that's warm enough to live, and good snow and good people.

Can anyone with the knowledge enlighten me with some info on where's good and cheap, and rough price guides? Anywhere to buy and sell kit?

Thanks in advance!!!

Paul

If you go to the major cities, you can get previous season's wear/equipment at really discount prices. Japan's huge on the whole "fashion" thing (i.e. they're really critical about being noticed in the previous season's skis etc) so if you can get to the outlets, you can get a board + binding + boots package for about 30,000 yen or less.

Just my small 2c

That's being optimistic Ryoma - it really does depend on your standards.

If you stick in the same place for the whole time, then you might be able to get a discount - I know one guy who did this last season. Stayed at Hakuba for 3 months and got about 50% of the bill - for hotel and gear.

If you state where you intend to go, then perhaps looking at the travel guides on here first might give you some idea.

Paul from Guildford. There are some second hand shops where you can pick up some great stuff. You may want to try those.

What's that cider place called? You have to take the train from Guildford. It's 1 or 2 stops. Does something like 9% alcohol cider. The train station platform is always puked on by students wasting their grants.

RB: not really, 'cause he said he wanted to go budget and the best way to go budget is to get gear that's 2 seasons back. We rang up a few suppliers a few days ago to see if they could get a decent package together for us but most replied with the same thing: if you're not looking for race/pro, you may as well get the older models because they're not going to make that big of a difference on the average skiier/rider. There's a big shop a bit out from Nagano that can do good deals.