I've got a quick question about buying a board here in Japan. I'm living in Tokyo and will be for another week, at which point I'm moving up to Sendai for good. I was told by friends to buy a board here in Tokyo before leaving since I'd supposedly be able to find better deals, but after spending a whole day searching around Ochanomizu, I only found one or two of last year's boards that were my size (163+), both overpriced, and only one used board, damaged.

My question is this--do I really need to be running around trying to find a board here before I leave Tokyo, or do you think I'll have at least the same luck up in Sendai? All the Tokyo boards were market price, and last year's models were still 75% price (at least 4.5-5 man for a good Burton). The market won't be that different outside Tokyo, will it?

Thanks in advance...

-l

I think that outside of Tokyo, you'll probably have a hard time finding something much above 162. If you can actually find your size, you'll be choosing by size alone, not by brand and not by stiffness, price or anything else.

So if you can find your size in something you like in Tokyo, I'd recommend you buy it.

(I haven't been to Sendai, and maybe, by some strange chance, there is an excellent board shop up there with a full range of big sizes. My advice is based on my knowledge of Nagano and Ehime prefectures. Any savings you might hope to make by buying outside of Tokyo will be lost in running around trying to find something good.)

Have you considered having something sent from the US? That's not a bad option.

Does this fit in with other people's experience?

Just as one tip--go to www.burton.com and you can search for Burton dealers there, including Japan. Upon finding that there were at least 10 Burton dealers in Sendai, including a number of premier dealers (whatever that means), I stopped worrying so much about buying my board in Tokyo.

Right now I'm checking out auctions...

-l

There are plenty of Burton dealers in Nagano too, but as I say, I haven't seen anything above 162 (OK, I once saw a Salomon at 164). Many of these little shops in the sticks are completely shit - they don't keep promises to contact you, they don't actively try to sell stuff, they're vastly expensive, and they keep moving premises and having 'breaks'.

So again, I'd suggest that if Tokyo has what you want, you take what may be the only chance you have. We normal sized people are not well catered to in this country.

Thanks for the tips. I may have gotten my hands on a great board over in the USA, but getting it to Japan is the problem. I was told by one company that Fedex shipping usually costs around $100-$110, which is fine considering that the airline told me it would cost more than $250 to bring it on the airplane as extra baggage. But when I plugged some numbers into the fedex.com website, it said more like $220, so now I'm concerned. I guess I'll find out one way or another.

-l

sandman-

If you're interested in a mass-market board from a famous maker, online shopping isn't a bad option, when you think about the limited selection of longer boards in Tokyo. I was always looking for something around 160-164, and was constantly frustrated.

If you're OK with race/custom board makers that also make non-race, all-mountain boards, then you might check out the Donek Snowboards website. They offer international shipping by FedEx for only $25. Their all-mountain board only costs about $350. Donek is cheaper because there's no advertising and middleman/dealer costs. The boards aren't for teenage park posers, they are meant to be ridden hard by fanatics. You won't find a bad review of their product on the Net. Worth a look.

You can read more about Donek, Coiler and Prior boards in the Carving Community BBS at the Bomber Online site.

Heaps of customer/rider reviews of every imaginable board make and type can be seen at Snowboard Reviews

Get out your coffee, start clicking, then get out your wallet.

Luck to you!

\:D

sandman, the Fed-Ex thing seems like a bit of a mystery, but it all boils down to how much business the shop does with Fed-Ex. I bought a board online from a small shop in Oregon and while the board itself only cost $117 (hugely discounted), shipping was about $130. I asked them if they could send it cheaper, but they said that's what Fed-Ex quoted them. The same board that cost more from a much bigger outfit shipped at $50 but worked out more expensive.

So the moral is, there's not much point in looking at the 'official' shipping cost at Fed-Ex.

And if you're really wanting to shave pennies off, you might try asking them to ship it surface. Of course it takes about 6 weeks, but if there's no snow for 6 weeks that's not a problem. Usually the surface rate is close to half of air freight.

bagmigs, have you ridden a Donek yourself yet? Which would you be looking at - Axis, Incline?

Head out to the cargo area of the local airport and approach all the freight companies. Ask if they can ship it to Narita airport. Go to them all and select the cheapest one. A couple of days before you travel drop this stuff off at the selected freight company at the airport. When you go through customs in Japan tick a box and fill out a form saying you have unaccompanied luggage. Walk or taxi to the freight company's (or their agents) deppo and ask for your stuff. get bounced around a few customs buildings for 20-30 minutes getting stamps on paper and paying hundreds (not thousands) of yen in customs fees. Pick up your stuff and take it back to Narita airport. Use the baggage forwarding service to send it anywhere in Japan.

I got 2 sets of skis and a suitcase and another bag or two (60kgs total) sent for less than 300 nz dollars ie US$150. A bit of running around but worth it.

I used Owens International and picked my stuff up from their japanese agent JAL cargo.

Ocean, I haven't yet ridden one. I would love to try some of their boards...

Last spring I bought an '02/'03 Salomon Fastback so I don't need another soft-boot all-mountain board... I'm ready to try hard boots, plate bindings and the Axis. Doesn't that thing look like a weapon?

I think you can demo Donek boards at some places in Colorado (that's where they're located).

In addition to a 2-year warranty, they have a 30-day money-back guarantee. So if you buy one and just don't like it, you can return it and get of your money back.

Burton, Salomon, Forum, Ride, etc. can't beat that!

Of course i trust you jared! I just got back from the airport just then. Nah, I just had one bad experience with sending snowboards unaccompanied to japan when I got hit for all sorts of customs and importing duty that I didnt want to pay. Thats all.

Here's an option that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet - if u haven't scored a board already, try buying it from the yahoo japan auctions - here's a link for a bunch of boards over 160 cm. Get whoever u buy it off to post it out to where-ever u're gonna end up. From my experience, the postage is usually between 1000-2000 yen, which isn't too bad. The boards r usually left over stock or second hands, so they're not too dear - if u don't mind older gear, yahoo all the way is what i say.

http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084032371-category-leaf.html

anyway, i hope that helps ya out.

Hey sandman, one other thing. If you're still in Tokyo, check out Oshmans in front of Harajuku Station. They often have last year's Burtons on deep discount, and I recall seeing "last year's" Canyon in 164cm or so there more than once. Worth a look anyway, even if just to walk around Harajuku Stn. people-watching.