Hi all

Heading to Nozawa and Hakuba in Feb 2009. maiden trip . I lived in Niseko for 4 seasons early 90s. Wondered if some of the Nagano gurus could enlighten me re good places to stay in Nozawa and Goryu area? My wife's Japanese so Ryokans and Minshyukus are the preferred option if anyone has stumbled upon cool places not too far from the lifts at reasonable prices. Finally anytips re the best resort in the Hakuba area re off the trails for snowboarding? Still haven't had any difinitive answers to the Niseko vs Hakuba debate. Anyone that has done alot of both like to weigh in?

Cheers in advance. Hop you all luck in , in Jan.

I hope there's snow when you come. wink (Don't worry there will be. I hope!)

Wow first off I bet Niseko early 90s vs Niseko 2008 would in itself be an interesting comparison. I wonder if you'd recognise it?

Just in case you haven't seen these rather comprehensive lists

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/hakuba-nagano-accommodation.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/nozawa-nagano-accommodation.html

I'm not for recommending my mates or places because I don't really know (I don't stay and when I do in Hakuba it's with a Japanese friend). Best place in Nozawa I think is Sakaya, fantastic nice modern place. There's some nice traditional places in the Hakuba list too.

Best resort area - go for Happo.

Niseko vs Hakuba? There isn't a definive answer. Spend a day searching through this forum for lots of interesting comment and discussion (and a bit of arrogant/pompous 'mine's better than yours' drivel too)

smile

>Finally anytips re the best resort in the Hakuba area re off the trails

theyre all awesome, but patrol at Goryu/47 are a$$holes.

>Still haven't had any difinitive answers to the Niseko vs Hakuba debate.

If you have to pose this statement, then you wouldnt understand the answer wink

>Anyone that has done alot of both like to weigh in?

Sure, Hakuba valley blows Niseko/Rusutsu and the Sapporo-area resorts away, not to add to the fact that Nozawa, Shiga, Myoko, and others are only within a few hours reach of Hakuba. Best Snow? Shiga. Best consistent snow quality? Guess it depends on the day youre there, right? Did a season in Niseko 6 years ago and have spent the last 5 seasons around Nagano, and never got bored at any resort I went to as theyre just better. But got bored at Niseko though I loved every second of it and its famous Niseko Gold Snow.

>and a bit of arrogant/pompous 'mine's better than yours' drivel too

I dont think stating a fact is arrogant or pompous. Some people just cant handle the truth iamright

Only 2 days till Im in Niseko nisekohakuba

Quote:
I dont think stating a fact is arrogant or pompous.

Neither do I. Unless of course it is done in an arrogant and/or pomous manner.
I would have thought it would be fairly obvious that I was referring to arrogant and pompous people & comments.

doh