Ok...long shot... but I am having trouble pulling meaning from Nessun Dorma.

I have the English Translation, so I have the words - but I am struggling to get a depth of meaning from the 'story'. Anyone got any idea for me?

NESSUN DORMA

Nessun Dorma! Nessun Dorma (Nobody shall sleep, nobody shall sleep)

Tu pure, o Principessa (Even you oh princess)

Nella tua fredda stanza (in your cold room)

Guardi le stele (watch the stars)

Che tremano d’amore (that tremble with love)

E di speranza (and with hope.)

Ma il mio mister e chiuso in me (But my secret is hidden within me)

Il nome mio nessun sapra! (My name no one shall know)

No, no sulla tua bocca lo diro (No! No! On your mouth I will tell it)

Quando la luce splendera! (When the light shines)

Ed il mio bacio sciogleira il silenzio (And my kiss will dissolve the silence)

Che ti fa mia! (That makes you mine!)

Il nome suo nessun sapra! (No one will know his name)

E noi dovrem, ahime, morir! (And we must, alas, die.)

Dilegua, o notte! (Vanish oh night!)

Tramontate, stelle! (Set, stars)

Tramontate, stelle! (Set, stars!)

All’alba vincero! (At dawn I will win!)

Vincero, vincero! (I will win, I will win!)

Please?

no muika, wish I was. I am interpreting at a friends funeral and this is one of three songs he has requested to be played. I can word for word it - but that just does not do it justice - I know there is deeper meaning there, just having trouble finding it.

I thought a fresh perspective might help me. My mind is totally trashed after working through the italian translation in 'The Prayer'! However the good news is I think I have The Prayer down pat.

He is for right now, but he is in palliative care, and has already outlasted the 2 days he was given by 16 extra days!

His condition will take him, and the doctors believe that it is simply his tenacity and grit that has him here still. The drugs he is on for the pain are lethal in themselves.

He is taking a lot of comfort in getting everything organised before he passes on. He gave his wife a few more jobs to get done when I visited the other day, he seems to be tying up loose ends....a bit like an expectant mother who 'nests'. He has planned the funeral, chosen the songs he wishes to have played and asked me to get to it and learn them. It is quite an honor and a privalege to be asked as his wife and two of his sister in laws are interpreters also, and he knows countless others. I interpreted thier wedding 16 years ago also, so he feels it is a completion of a chapter to have me do it. I want to do it right for him.

I am a little concerned about the timing however as I fly to Europe on the 26th of December. The doctors think that it would be impossible for him to survive that much longer, however they do not know him like we do! He may well wait until I get back!!

Ok...long shot... but I am having trouble pulling meaning from Nessun Dorma.

I have the English Translation, so I have the words - but I am struggling to get a depth of meaning from the 'story'. Anyone got any idea for me

With a melody like that you don,t need words. Just let it wash over you violin

Yeah...that might be accurate for you WeeGeoff...but not exactly helpful.

How in heck I transmit the 'melody washing over me' to the deaf Mother in Law who is grieving in the front row is my dilemma.

And - no, Thursday never heard of it...

I think it is awesome when people want to plan thier own funeral. My folks have organised EVERYTHING, exactly what they want down to the party drinks for the wake! It is all in thier safe along with all the details about thier investments etc and thier wills.

Both my brother and I have the combination, so all bases are covered.

Grieving family do not need to be arguing over whether this song or that song best suits someone at that time in thier lives - this preplanned thing is SO much better.