I am thinking about working in a hotel on the snow in Hokkaido this season. Has anyone done anything similar? How did you find it? Did you get a decent amount of time on the mountain?

Just wanting to see what others thought of the experience and whether they would recommend it.

Cheers.

hello all, i'm a new member, tho i've been browsing the site for a while and enjoying the posts...

my girlfriend and i got a job lined up at a pension in niseko hirafu. we went there for about a month last year, wanted to do a season, so we started knocking on doors and asking for jobs for the next winter

four hours of rejection later, on our way home we scored a job at our last stop

i think we work about five days a week. 8-11 in the morning, 5-9 at night, which means we miss freshies and night skiing, but we still get to ride everyday, and 2 days off a week

ah, no monetary payment, but we get food, board and a lift ticket. it doesn't seem like a bad arangement when you compare it with working 4 days a week for minimum wage, and only 3 days on the hill (eg canada)

there's probably better snow jobs out there, but i'm pretty stoked with this one, as it should allow us to live cheaply and get alot of time on the mountain, that's whats important after all

grinch, you heard bad stories about some places?

I had a good deal in canada before mate. Worked the lifts the first year with plenty of ski breaks. from 5 to 15 runs per day. If I did a job called "relief" all I did was ski around to different lift stations. The key point is to stay for more than a year. A resort doesnt care about one year in and out people so they pay them crap.

Second year worked snowmaking started in late Oct. working 10 hours a day plus overtime. start time 1:30pm to 12am that gave my a chance to ski 4hours everyday. salary was got 20% more than the year before. finished the year working relief for the lifts and running the late night lift.

Sounds like your keen on what your going to do.

I personally wouldnt take a job unless I was paid period. all your beer all your travelling to other resorts has to be paid for by you.

have fun though.

just did a doorknocking mission woywoy

fattwins, yeah, not getting paid isn't the best, but then we don't have to pay pay for accom, which seems like our biggest expense. when we crunched the numbers, it seemed like a pretty good deal

ideally i like to bum a season, or at least 2-3 months. work really hard beforehand for a few months, do it poor, but its a satisfying feeling waking up everyday knowing you have nothing on except fun on the hill. its a bit of a luxury not going up unless theres been at least 20cm overnight

hey spook - ive hooked up a similar deal to u this season, im working in the backapcker at niseko this year. i stayed there last season with a bunch of mates, and the family who own it were super friendly and invited me back to work this year. ill be there from late november onwards. where is the place u are working at? let me know and we'll catch up and ride some pow, and taste some asahi \:\) hope its a killer season!