I've just come back from the shop talking to the guy in there and thinking of going with the Salomon X-Wing 10 skis. They seem to have a decent reputation and would fit where I'm at level wise. The only thing that's bothering me a bit is the guy in the shop mentioned about Salomon bindings 'not being as good as others'. He said it was his own opinion and I haven't read any particular bad mouthing of Salomon bindings in online reviews I've read.... anyone?

Exciting to be getting new gear. groovy

Cheers!

I'm certainly no expert on bindings but I have Salomon bindings on one of my skis and I've had no problems. People are going to have their preferences, good idea to read lots of reviews like you have. The X-Wings are decent skis from what I have heard and popular, so I'm sure the bindings won't be a problem.

good question RH.

Basically a binding gives trasfers power from the boot to the ski, and at the same they must be able to release the boot after applying pressure say after a fall.

More advanced skiers need a higher DIN (binding setting) becasue the faster they are going the more pressure they are applying to the binding on turns and they do not want the ski to fall off.

Advanced setting are usually go to about 12-14-16 DIN = Pro racers will even go higher.

The ones on your skis are 10