I always don't like being asked 1000 yen for parking (why 1000??) at a ski-jo or anywhere for that matter. But these places are more expensive!

1. London City, monthly average: £749.79

London’s most expensive car park is Pavilion Road multi-storey in Knightsbridge, a short hop from Harrods. It will set you back £43.20 for a six hour stay. Berners St car park in Bloomsbury has the highest hourly fee at £8. If you fancy a stay at the Park Lane Hilton factor in the cost for your car - two hours parking costs £12.

2. London, West End, monthly average: £729.71

If you are fortunate enough to find a space in Soho, Oxford Street or near Leicester Square you might live to regret it. Trafalgar Square car park charges £6 an hour, and it will cost you at least £25 to park in most West End car parks for a morning’s shopping.

3. Sydney, monthly average: £497.80

Camper vans at Bondi Beach aren’t for hippies anymore- it is the most expensive beach to park at in Oz costing you $30 for a few hours. Corporate trusts own Sydney’s main car parking areas and earlier this year the Sydney Opera House car park, which has 1,176 spaces, was valued at $120million (£51.5 million).

4. Hong Kong, monthly average: £477.17

Last year a penthouse apartment in central Hong Kong sold for $23.65million (about £15million), more extraordinary were the value of the car parking spaces included in the cost- $153,000 each (just over £100,000).

5. Brisbane, monthly average: £380.23

Despite an attempt to promote public transport in Queensland’s largest city, most Brisbane residents travel by car. Brisbane’s population growth has put the city under particular pressure and parking has shot up to match demand.

6. New York, monthly average: £375.97

Americans have a reputation for being dedicated to their cars, but you’d have to have a particularly strong sense of loyalty to want one in Manhattan, where a parking space can fetch up to $255,000 (£167,000). There is an increasing real estate trend in New York to buy up parking spaces as an investment even if you don’t have a car. Parking spaces can fetch the same price per square foot as actual living space.

7. Tokyo, monthly average: £354.80

Finding somewhere to keep your vehicle is so rare in Tokyo that the Japanese have created a law to ensure there isn’t a run on car parks. You must prove you own a parking space before you can buy a car, unless the car is less than 3.4 metres (11ft 2in) long and powered by an engine no larger than 660cc.

8. Perth, monthly average: £331.99

West Australia’s main city has a free transit zone area offering public transport at no cost, in an attempt to cut down on vehicles in the city after the government discovered 80 per cent of journeys were being taken by private car.

9. Stockholm, monthly average: £327.12

Nothing comes cheap in the environmentally friendly Swedish capital, and places to park your polluting vehicle are no exception. Like London, Swedish drivers passing through the centre of Stockholm are charged a congestion fee, and the government have created a slick public transport system to encourage people to keep their cars at home.

10. Dublin, monthly average: £326.44

Office rents in Dublin are some of the highest in Europe so it isn’t surprising that car parking slots fetch a fortune too. Off street spaces in new developments in the Irish capital’s city centre can add tens of thousands of pounds on to the price of a property.

I remember reading a few years ago a story about a garage up for sale in Edinburgh. The owner sold it for 75,000 pounds!! The guy who bought, did so only so he could park his car near to the city centre, where he worked

But the big shock for me was seeing 3 Australian cities amongst the top ten, and in particular my own home town of Perth!!!! veryshocked

I know the parking charges in both Perth and Fremantle are higher than the freebie parking at local shopping malls, and I tend to take the train (thanks to living a short stroll from the train line)if I am going to those place if I can. But It still rarely costs me the equivalent of 1000 Yen for a few hours in a multistory secure car park, and never over about 2000 Yen.

I would have thought the cost MUCH higher in congested cities. I am right now overlooking the harbour in Hong Kong, and as always - this place is BUSY! I am (as always) impressed by the speed and efficency of the MTR (wish we had similar in Aus) but travelling last night I caught myself wondering how difficult it would be to own, drive and park a car in the bustling metropolis.... And then you have to add the costs of congestion charges and tolls - none of which exist in Perth.

confused

Hey Thurs,

Home now.

We were in the Mandarin Oriental (Central) - fantastic 'oriental suite'! It was absolute unadulterated luxury, with outstanding service.... I would go back there in a heartbeat!

We will be back 26th Dec for a few hours (heading for London) - hopefully something will be open for dinner - bringing the bear cubs. We thought we would jump on the Airport Express and jump off at Kowloon station and get some dinner that trumps the airline rubbish.

I love Hong Kong. Obviously no idea what it would be like to LIVE there...but it is an awesome place to visit, I will keep coming back.

It was Papa who suggested Kowloon Station. If it were me on my own I would have been happy to head to HK Station and have dinner at the Mandarin - would be pricey but delish!

You know the place darn site better than me - where would you suggest to take a family of 6 (two who refuse to eat fish) for a quick dinner on Boxing Day?

We have 6hrs and 20mins between flights (assuming no delays). Factoring in clearing immigration, the 20+ minutes train journey each way, and being at the gate in good time I reckon we have about 4 hours for dinner.

(Thanks)

oops We shall now return to your usual programming.

Dang that expensive parking!!!

It is certainly a good deterrant to thousands of cars heading into crowded locations with only the driver in the car, but there needs to be a viable alternative.

If the increased cost of parking is working and reducing congestion and frustrated city visitors then well and good, but it is not working here in Perth - the high cost of parking is simply being paid, and the carpark companies are getting good returns.

As this is a city that rely's on it's cars (crappy public transport for the most part), there should be large secure multistory carparks at each of the train stations into the city to encourage people to drive only to thier closest train stop. The parking there must be signifigantly cheaper than that in the city to make it attractive. Or value add. Make easier to park in bays (some are stupid!), car servicing or detailing services available upon request and prebooking, and perhaps even private spaces available for daily users for a monthly fee.

Alternatives, not deterrants. Use your head people!