I would hate for any first time visitor looking at this forum for information to think that they couldn't go snowboarding until 'the majority of resorts open in mid-December'. New people do come here looking for hard info, asking stuff like 'I have a couple of days in Japan in late Nov. Can I go snowboading?' So for the sake of accuracy, I merely challenged the 'come on come on' attitude that suggests such things are fantastical. They're not.

I'd also like to point out that there are dedicated people on this forum who take the effort to walk to places high up where the snow starts early and lasts late, so if miteyak says that first tracks are likely available in some places, I believe him, with joy in my heart.

That's all.

(OK, now some of you can start howling about 'How Ocean11 says I have to walk up Fujisan' :p )

November, November, wat a load of crap...

I know a few dedicates that used the hiker lifts to catch powder turns in October last year... :p

I myself had to wait 'til Nov. 2nd before I got any real resort style action.

The early season last year has pretty much made anything seem possible, so the excitement builds... For those insistent on trying to quash our ptimism, start yer own goddamn thread... "Remember the olympics... by golly, some years the season never gets started til february" lol.gif

Most resorts wont open untill about or around the begining of dec. If your a keener which I am sometimes, you can hunt around and find the places that will open early. There is also places that you can hike or use cable cars to get you into the high alpine.

LAst year was a funny year early snow mid season blues then a dumping at the end. A place like nowaza, ontake, happo, tsugaike, dynaland, wings snow resort and 47 that I know of will push to open early if it is feesible. Again if your keen you can find those places. There is also a crappy place in hyogo that will open soon. It always makes snow early and opens about or around first. They make about a 10meter wide strip of ice that you can slide on.

I myself dont find it in my budget to get out there for just one course open. So I either hike or wait a bit. Last year I got lucky and landed pow in early dec.

Ocean just did that kayak trip in shikoku. We went site seeing in the mountains one afternoon dude I pity the ski resorts there they are so small. You got any trips planned off the rock.

There you go then. Game on!

Fatts, don't say that! " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> That's a horrible thing to say.

No I haven't planned any trips yet, planning trips not being something I have any experience with. I've been spoiled. Is it too late yet?? And if not, when is too late???

ITs never too late. But if your not going to sleep in your car or crash at a friends its time to get on the new years planning. PS the drive up to the shikoku resort was more dangerous then any other Ive been to in japan. switchbacks for 10 km on narrow roads.

The one on the tallest mountain in shikoku. just did a driving tour. Too be honest my buddy though it would be cool for the ladies.. they didnt give a crap. They wanted to camp chat and onsen.

Dude I hit this road down there. Closed for 50 minutes and open for 10 minutes cause of construction. Ive have never in my life seen this before.