• SnowJapan Moderator

There was a discussion last season about Iwappara and Maiko in Niigata and how close they were. Today I was up driving round the area and took this photo showing Iwappara on the left and Maiko on the right. The top of Iwappara Gondola is that building near the center and you can see the top of the quad at Maiko just a bit to the right. Very close they are...

YuzawaNow_816.JPG

Another showing more of Iwappara in the YuzawaNow gallery:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section.php?userid=YuzawaNow

• SnowJapan Moderator

I only found out about it today as well. The road in the foreground is indeed the one that goes up from behind the Iwappara gondola ("the road to nowhere" that basically just ends at the base of the Maiko bowl).

That road isn't signposted at all. If you go past Yuzawa Park hotel/skijo on that main road and continue as if you are going to Daigenta Canyon. About 1km on from there turn left when you see the Kayama Captain Coast sign (straight on would take you to Daigenta). Go over that little bridge and then about 200m up that road there is a steep U-turn in the road. On that bend you'll see a small road ---- that's the one!

It goes all the way from there to Shiozawa (Mimamiuonuma). You get some great views of Yuzawa on the way up, then a good look at Iwappara and Maiko and then Makihata over on the other side. Definitely worth a look.

Never noticed that one.

Is that a lift going down just to the right of the top of the Iwappara gondola in the center of the photo? Sure looks like it could be but I didn't think there was any lift there.