I will be graduating college this coming December and I have some money saved up that I would like to use being a ski-bum in Japan for a time between January - April.

Is it feasable to rent a room for a month or two in a ski town in Japan? How much would that cost? I'm trying to avoid staying in hotels every night for a month or two.

Where would be the best area to go? I'm looking for STEEPS, cliffs, and trees. Hokkaido? Northern Alps? Central?

I'm coming from Crested Butte, CO. I want to be at the steepest most difficult resort- preferably with a relaxed OOB and patrol, and good powder. I have a beacon, and skins and experience. My idea of nightlife is not Aspen or Vail, I'd rather go somewhere more relaxed.

If you want steep, Hakuba, in the North Alps in Nagano Prefecture, is going to suit you a lot better than Hokkaido. Majestic peaks up to 3,000 metres would best describe it. I suggest you do some web searching, call some of the self-catering lodges or backpackers places and try and negotiate a discounted rate for a longer-term stay. They will often do this.

Hakuba's a nice community and there are a lot of hardcore backcountry skiiers up there, so I think you would find it a good place to spend some time.

Welcome Josh. As skidaisuki said Hakuba is what you're looking for. You'll be in heaven, it's a sweet place to be a bum.

You might even be able to get a bit of discount on your rent if you clear snow or whatever around where you're staying.

oh and unfortunately very few resorts have a relaxed OOB attitude.

Most will let you use them as gateway to good side/back-country.

Others are nazis, you'll find out pretty quickly from the locals.

Hope you have shovel & probe too smile