Hi All,

This is my first post to SJF.

I was wondering if anyone here has skied Karuizawa (Prince Snow Resort), a small resort a coupla hours north of Tokyo by train? I have a chance to ski there for 2 to 3 days in the second week of Dec 2008 (probably a Sat, Sun and Mon). Is it worth the trek? What has the snow been like historically in that area in early Dec?

Thanks in advance for any inputs, no matter how small.

Hi wave

The reviews on this site may well say this but - it's a bit rubbish - and I might be right in thinking that the only snow there then will be man-made.

You would be much better off going a bit further up to Kagura in Yuzawa at that time.

Whitegold, the fastest shinkansens from Tokyo Station to Echigo Yuzawa station (nearest to Kagura) take about 75 minutes, the slower ones are more like 90, either way not too long. From Echigo Yuzawa you either wait for a bus or catch a taxi to Mitsumata Ropeway station (the main starting point for most vistors to Mitsumata / Kagura / Tashiro resorts, which all link together), which takes about 20 minutes / 4,500 yen (so worth sharing a taxi).

If you are going up for 2-3 nights you could stay at Yuzawa town, close to Mitsumata Ropeway, or in Naeba which is further on up the road. All of these options are now very well covered by reviews and guidance elsewhere on this site.

If the choice is the artificial snow at Karuizawa Prince or Kagura, then for most posters here, there's no choice to make - as long as Kagura has reasonably good cover by the time of your visit.

Karuizawa is very cold in winter, but it is a dry area compared to a bit further north so doesn't get that much snow at the best of times.

Like the others said, go a bit further over to Niigata, especially as access is easy and not long from Tokyo, if you take the shink.

Kagura would be the better choice I reckon, snow dependent of course, BUT I forsee a huge dump of white stuff to make Kagura more than covered at that time!! (I'm going up around that time too wink )