Nagano - anyone got some advice for a newbie???

Hey there folks

I'm heading out to Japan on the 14th of Feb 09 with 6 mates for a fortnights boarding and we're trying to decide where in Nagano to go!!!!! 5 of us board well and will be looking for back country/tree runs etc, 2 of us still learning the ropes but doing ok, couple of the group are keen on parks – we all want a good bit of variety. We all like a bit of a bevy but aren’t worried about mad clubs or parties for this hol.

We’ve been looking at Shika Kogen, just cause of the size of the area and their access all areas pass. We did look at Hukuba but the area doesn’t look as big and I can not find into on lift passes anywhere, the info that I can find is sold on a per area/per day basis so that would work out expensive – can anyone advise if this is correct??

Any advice, comments or just banter is appreciated!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Hi wave

For what it is worth, here's our experiences from last year

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...html#Post261219

The Shiga Kogen pass for 10 days is good (39000 yen?) but not that much cheaper than buying one day tickets at different resorts if you went to Hakuba. I'd go with the place you like the look of best. Actually I'd try to fit both in, and throw in Nozawa as well - just like we did/

groovy

Yappy,

see the tabs above (the blue, cyan and red ones labelled "Resorts", "Places to Stay" and "Daily Reports") - they are your first stop. Have a trawl through there will do you no end of good.

If, after searching there for answers, your more considered questions will likely be better answered.

Originally Posted By: Yappy
Hey there folks

. We did look at Hukuba but the area doesn’t look as big and I can not find into on lift passes anywhere, the info that I can find is sold on a per area/per day basis so that would work out expensive – can anyone advise if this is correct??

Thank you!!!!

Yes thats basically true....your travel agent if you are using one - should be able to get hold of full valley tickets that you can use in 7 resorts.
If you are not using an inbound agency you can get discount tickets per resort for 3 days.
Happo, Iwatake and tsugaike also do a 3 resort discounted pass.
please note you can only use one pass in one resort per day.

Hakuba is big but not linked the same way the SK is. SK has little by way of after riding entertainment, whereas Hakuba has lots. Nozawa Onsen would be great for that japanese cultural taste as well as good riding and Myoko is not a kick in the arse away either

Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: Yappy
Hey there folks

. We did look at Hukuba but the area doesn’t look as big and I can not find into on lift passes anywhere, the info that I can find is sold on a per area/per day basis so that would work out expensive – can anyone advise if this is correct??

Thank you!!!!

Yes thats basically true....your travel agent if you are using one - should be able to get hold of full valley tickets that you can use in 7 resorts.
If you are not using an inbound agency you can get discount tickets per resort for 3 days.
Happo, Iwatake and tsugaike also do a 3 resort discounted pass.
please note you can only use one pass in one resort per day.

You can get a pass for all seven resorts in Hakuba without travelling with a travel agent. Its a two day pass called the Happy seven pass and its available from most hotels and pensions. The inbound pass is exactly the same only three days instead of two.

Both passes you can only ride one mountain a day.

Actually getting these passes for the whole time you are in Hakuba on holiday is a bit of a waste because Tsugaike, Cortina, Norikura, and Aokiko/Kashimayari aren't included on the either the inbound pass or the pension pass.

Sure did!!! Thank goodness for freak depressions over Scandinavia!!!

I only made it up the Lecht on Sunday, but my b/f was up on Friday and enjoyed some powder! Apparently Saturday was good too.

Didn’t bother heading up to the Cairngorm as they weren’t running any of the tows so you had to come down to the middle satiation to get the funicular and, apparently, it was pretty narrow and patchy.

The Lecht had great conditions. Fingers crossed it a sign of the season to come!!!!!

You from Scotland, Tubby Beaver??

Couldn't you guess Tubby's a Scotsman from his signature???

As he says, Hakuba and Shiga Kogen are entirely different kinds of places. SK is beautiful, like a highland wilderness with low temps and excellent snow (especially in mid-season) and though I've never spent more than 2 nights there consecutively, I suspect that the terrain would get boring after more than 3-4 days, and you'll have to take your own apres ski because there isn't a lot to do up there of an evening.

Hakuba is actually much more vertical, a proper ski town in a valley surrounded by mountains (up to 3,000 metres) on 3 sides, with a thiving community and lots of restaurants / bars / pubs / onsens to enjoy at the end of a day on the slopes.

I would say do both if you have 2 full weeks, but Hakuba is definitely a better place to stay for a longer time, with more resort and accomodation options than Shiga.

SdS