Fat skis - buying K2 Coombas or similar in Japan

Hi (again)

Now that snow is on the hills it's time to come out of hibernation, stop lurking and start thinking about skiing again.

I'm going to be spending a lot of this season up in Myoko where, when the snow gods smile, they get big dumps. So I'm looking for a full-on, fat powder ski to mount with AT bindings for a lot of skinning. The skis I've been looking at are the K2 Coombas (135-102-121)- fat and light - but getting hold of them in Japan appears to be problematic.

So, does anyone have a good suggestion for where to get these skis? Recommended K2 dealer?

Or does anyone have any other recommended powder skis? Looked at the new Line Mothership which I can get but is super fat and a bit heavy or the Scott Mission which is not as fat.

Any advice appreciated and, if you get to Myoko can be repaid in beer smile

Hugh

If you want some lightweight skis look at PM Gear: Lhasa, Vector Glide: Megawatt.

What bindings you going with? Dynafits are lightest but I dont own any. Ive got Dukes on my Pontoons and Freerides on my 183 Soft BROs. Am wondering what to mount my Lhasas with... Going Dynafit now is too expensive for me, so prolly Dukes on the Lhasas??

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a look at them.

I'll be mounting Fritschi Daimir's (now rebranded Freeride?) on them - since that's what I've got on all my others and (so far) they are bombproof and don't squeek when skinning.

Hugh

Creekboy

How do you find the Pontoons - looked at them, skied a pair once and came to the conclusion that they were just too fat. Fantastic in bottomless powder - but that doesn't happen everyday and just too fat under foot to get yourself down the piste home.

Thought of the moment is that it might be a pair of Motherships 142-111-131 - but with a 24m radius so good for crud-busting through the trees.

Hugh

telehugh, got the Toons overseas for half the price you can find em here. Ive got some Atomics skis for sale which are the same size as bigstix at 130-105-120. I can keep em as a rock ski cuz Ive got new skis but would rather put them to use from somebody who will use em if interested

Today I just got the biggest, fattest Coombas in Japan - according to K2 Japan only Minami have them in stock and I've just got a pair. They are huge but light, more camber than I expected and initially stiff and theny they flex. Now just need some snow. Hmmmmm. Can't wait.

Shot tables - might be the way forward but need to find room.

Hugh

Mike

IMVHO that is not the whole story particularly for backcountry skiing in Japan where the snow is fluffy but is often not the lightest and the slopes are not the steepest .

My "normal" ski is a Rossignol B2 - which I have skied and toured with for the past couple of years in BC, JP & Alps. If it's steep enough / light enough then it's a go-anywhere ski but after moving back to JP last year and doing a fair bit of backcountry skiing in some of our favourite places (Hakkouda / Niseko / Myoko) I came to the view that more floatation is often needed - so demo-ed some fatter skis and had more fun. And now I have what I hope is great fat ski.

If you are only skiing the back-bowls of Niseko I'd probably agree that it's steep enough so that any "normal" ski will be more than enough - but I'm skiing this winter in Myoko which is not nearly as steep and where bogging-down can (and does) make things less fun.

Time will tell whether the Coomba is over-kill or a guaranteed way to make me smile! Which is what it's all about.

Hugh