Just watched a documentary on 'the controversial purity movement currently sweeping across the United States'. According to this, one in six American girls now pledges to remain a virgin – and some even to save their first kiss – until their wedding day.

1 in 6?! Is this just media sensationalism or actually happening?

It's just the opposite of that bunch of teen girls out East (Boston?) who made some kind of "pregnancy pact" where they all planned on getting preggers together and share in the joys of motherhood at the same time. Was there a thread on here about that?

Teenagers!

They will make pacts for anything - just proves we need community and friends with common interests and goals in our lives. We are social beings that require support systems.

Probably better to make a pact for chastity than it is to make a pact to get pregnant by 16! Or a suicide pact! But it does set a child up for a sense of failure and depravity where if they had a more balanced view they could transistion into adult relationships with a mature sense of fulfilment rather than these rather immature extremes.

I understand why it could be important, but people are just extremist in regards to everything nowadays rolleyes They should learn while theyre young that shagging in moderation is a good thing. Shagging in excess leads to you feeling ill and zombiesish. Not shagging at all leads to craziness and more F'ed up problems. Look at Catholic priests as one example - seems more of them are sodomizing little boys that those who arent. Sick bastards. Just goes to show everybody needs sex - but in moderation razz wink

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I understand why it could be important, but people are just extremist in regards to everything nowadays rolleyes They should learn while theyre young that shagging in moderation is a good thing. Shagging in excess leads to you feeling ill and zombiesish. Not shagging at all leads to craziness and more F'ed up problems. Look at Catholic priests as one example - seems more of them are sodomizing little boys that those who arent. Sick bastards. Just goes to show everybody needs sex - but in moderation razz wink

haha...I agree wholeheartedly!!
As a teenager, I never made any "pacts". Me and my mates were just normal, hanging out, playing football and talking up all the minor "sex" stories we had, to listen you'd think we were King Swordsmen!! lol
IMO the type of people who make "pacts" are socially insecure, definitely the Otaku peeps.

50-60% isnt it? My parents fall into that group, and a few HS friends who got married in college or just post college are adding to that....Better to get married later I think - though thats my excuse for being over 30 and not in a big rush to get hitched...I just need a maid to cook and clean for me smile lol

The main reason for marriages are failing SO often today is that people don't take the 'for better or worse' part seriously. They only want it if it is 'better'. Sometimes it hits the fan and there is hard work to be done.

It is not for everyone.

And young marriage does often fail - it is mainly about fairytale expectations and a lack of willingness to work on the relationship.

But not always. I was married at 20 to my sweetheart 8 months my junior.....we are approaching our 19th Wedding Anniversary. We've had our squabbles ... but would I change it? - nup. At the time we met and married we were both practicing Christians - and we did not wait until we were married. There is such a thing as common sense - it is not an all or nothing topic.