Taking up pie-eater's retirement from the Olympic Highlights thread, and its discussion of "football" hooliganism and such, I thought to start anew thread for the discussion.

To kick it off, I offer the following (not my personal belief, but worth discussing) ...

Part of the explanation for the unruly crowd behaviour at soccer matches might be contained in a statement made by an older mate of mine.

He says that the 90 minutes of play which sometimes results in zero scores for both sides may contribute to the hooligan behaviour through sheer boredom!

shifty

Well that is hardly worth a response. As such, I will not be contributing to this thread and I suspect others won't. It will just end up being an anti-football rant.... hope you enjoy it!

wave

Not about cricket - just somewhere other than the olympics highlights thread for a discussion of the phenomenon of sports hooligans with specific reference to "football" thuggery.

No but saying that football is boring is not exactly true especially when you factor in Antipodean love for cricket which has got to be one of the most mind numbing games ever played. (5 days?? god help us!!) stir

I actually agree with you about cricket, as it happens. (yet another pommy 'sport' designed to bore people to death - unless it rains!)